[ASA] Call for 2.3m proposals

Paul Francis Paul.Francis at anu.edu.au
Sat Jan 28 10:15:40 AEDT 2017

Dear Observer,

The closing date for observing proposals for time on the ANU/RSAA 2.3m telescope at Siding Spring Observatory (SSO) in the quarter 1st MAY 2017 - 31st JULY 2017 is 23:59 February 15, 2016.

Instruments available:
Nasymth A: WiFeS   Nasymth B: Imager or echelle.

Observing proposals must be submitted electronically via the RSAA web pages.
Full instructions are available at http://rsaa.anu.edu.au/observers/observing-rsaa.

*************************** PLEASE NOTE ***********************************

The ANU 2.3-metre telescope at Siding Spring Observatory is scientifically productive and a valuable resource for student training and instrument development. These diverse and significant benefits justify its continued operation for the foreseeable future. The full cost to the ANU Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics (RSAA) of operating the 2.3m telescope (including staff, maintenance and repairs) corresponds to approximately $1200 per night. To defray this cost, RSAA is offering priority on the 2.3m telescope to paying customers from Australia and elsewhere, while simultaneously ensuring a level of open access to astronomers at all Australian institutions.

Starting this quarter, 30% of the telescope time will be allocated to paid priority proposals, which will need to contribute $400 per night towards the running costs of the telescope. The remaining 70% of the time is open-access and remains free. To be eligible to apply for open-access time, 50% or more of the proposers must be based at Australian institutions.

There is a new LaTeX form this quarter, which asks you to list how many priority (paid) and open-access (free) nights you are requesting. PLEASE USE THE NEW FORM (or copy the two extra LaTeX lines into your old proposal).

In future years the price of a priority night will increase and the fraction of open-access nights will decrease. Full details can be found at

The latest information on using the telescope and its instruments can be found at http://rsaa.anu.edu.au/observers/obsering-rsaa.


If you have questions or technical problems in using the web-based submission process, please email tacinfo at mso.anu.edu.au.

Paul Francis
Chair, ANU TAC

Prof. Paul Francis
Mt Stromlo Observatory, and the Physics Education Centre
College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences
Building 38a, Tel 02 6125 2824 or 8031
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 2601 Australia
paul.francis at anu.edu.au<mailto:paul.francis at anu.edu.au>
CRICOS Provider #00120C
[cid:image002.png at 01D27007.77620440]

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mailman.sydney.edu.au/pipermail/asa/attachments/20170127/d7ef78d8/attachment.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: image001.png
Type: image/png
Size: 14815 bytes
Desc: image001.png
URL: <http://mailman.sydney.edu.au/pipermail/asa/attachments/20170127/d7ef78d8/attachment.png>

More information about the ASA mailing list