[ASA] ASA AGM information

John O'Byrne john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au
Tue Jul 5 17:40:09 AEST 2016

To All ASA members,
(but especially those attending the 50th Annual Scientific Meeting in Sydney)

The ASA’s 50th Annual General Meeting (AGM) will be held at 11am on Wednesday (tomorrow) as part of the ASM.  All members, including students are invited to attend (and there will be a Birthday cake at morning tea!).

The minutes of the 49th AGM in Fremantle can be found on the ASA web pages at http://asa.astronomy.org.au/council.php#report.   The President’s 2016 report and other reports to be presented tomorrow should also be there by tomorrow.

In case you are wondering about the counting of meetings, I did a check to understand why the current meeting is indeed the 50th AGM and ASM.  It turns out that there was no AGM/ASM in 1970.  The 4th AGM was held on 17 December 1969 and the members decided to move the meetings from December to May, where they stayed for many years in the break between the first and second of three University terms.  That placed the 5th AGM on 19 May 1971….. and the 50th AGM in 2016.

In looking through the old minutes I came across a discussion about the cost of the dinner in 1969 that may put the time difference in some context.  See the attached image.

I hope to see many of you at the 50th AGM tomorrow.

best wishes,

John

—————————————————————————
"The standard you walk past is the standard you accept”
—————————————————————————

ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR JOHN O’BYRNE
Associate Head (Teaching & Learning), School of Physics
Associate Dean (Learning & Teaching), Faculty of Science
Secretary, Astronomical Society of Australia Inc.

Sydney Institute for Astronomy
School of Physics | Faculty of Science

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Rm 205, Physics Building A28
Postal address: School of Physics | The University of Sydney | NSW | Australia | 2006
T +61 2 9351 3184  | F +61 2 9351 7726
E john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au<mailto:john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au>  | W  http://sydney.edu.au/science/people/john.obyrne

CRICOS 00026A
This email plus any attachments to it are confidential. Any unauthorised use is strictly prohibited.
If you receive this email in error, please delete it and any attachments.

[cid:39DA9BD9-40E2-45AE-942B-3AC79F73CFC1 at staff.wireless.sydney.edu.au]