[ASA] Innovation and Discovery in Radio Astronomy - A Celebration of the Career of Ron Ekers
john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au
Mon Jun 27 13:50:26 AEST 2016
I’m writing to alert you to the upcoming meeting "Innovation and Discovery in Radio Astronomy - A Celebration of the Career of Ron Ekers” which will be held in Queenstown, NZ from the 13th – 17th of September, 2016. The meeting coincides with Ron’s 75th birthday and following Ron’s interests is designed to cover a wide range of topics from technical and scientific innovation in radio astronomy to history, governance and politics. Registration is open and we welcome participants who wish to celebrate the wide impact that has had in international astronomy and beyond over the course of his career.
The meeting website can be found here:
The program overview for the meeting is as follows:
Tuesday 13th - Thursday 15th will focus on Innovation and Discovery in Radio Astronomy. Topics include:
* Survey Science including: AT20G, ASKAP, MWA & SKA Surveys
* Discovery and Serendipity in Radio Astronomy
* AGN unification, FRBs, FIR-Radio Correlations
* Radio Astronomy Imaging Techniques
* Ron’s Impact
Friday 16th will focus on the wider impact of Ron¹s career over a diverse range of topics including, history, policy, and a range of science fields outside of astronomy.
Saturday 17th will be the optional conference excursion on the TSS Earnslaw steamboat in the evening and the morning will be the conference dinner/Ron’s 75th birthday party.
Confirmed Invited speakers include: John Brooks, Miller Goss, Tim Cornwell, Claire Hooker, Ken Kellermann, Haida Liang, Tara Murphy, Richard Schilizzi, Elaine Sadler, Peter Shaver, Jacqueline van Gorkom, George Miley, Carole Jackson and many more - A full list of participants can be found on the website.
· Dates: 13-17 September 2016
· Location: Millenium Hotel, Queenstown, New Zealand
· Registration: the meeting has been generously supported by several sponsors including CSIRO, Curtin, Victoria University of Wellington, NRAO, AUI and SKAO. The registration fee of 125NZD includes lunch and tea breaks. The registration deadline for early registration in 10th of July, final registrations close 1st of August 2016.
· Conference Dinner/Birthday Party: A dinner will be held on Saturday 17th September at the Skyline Restaurant, Queenstown which has spectacular views of Queenstown, Lake Wakatipu and the Remarkables. The meal which has also been generously subsidised will cost $65 NZD per head. Please register for dinner when registering for the conference.
Travel and Accommodation
Participants will arrange their own travel and accommodation. Accommodation in Queenstown in September, during the peak of the ski season, is often limited. However, we have secured a block booking at the conference hotel which has a few places still available. Please see details here:
* Melanie Johnston-Hollitt
* Haida Liang
* Ken Kellermann
* Miller Goss
* Ilana Feain
* Rajan Chhetri
* Siamak Dehghan
* Claire O'Connor
We look forward to welcoming you to the meeting. If you have any questions please contact either Melanie.Johnston-Hollitt at vuw.ac.nz<mailto:Melanie.Johnston-Hollitt at vuw.ac.nz> for scientific questions or Claire.OConnor at vuw.ac.nz<mailto:Connor at vuw.ac.nz> for logistical matters.
A/Prof. Melanie Johnston-Hollitt
SKA Organisation Ltd. Board of Directors (New Zealand scientific representative),
Chair, Murchison Widefield Array Board,
Director Astronomy & Astrophysics,
School of Chemical & Physical Sciences
Victoria University of Wellington
PO Box 600
Wellington, 6140 New Zealand
Melanie.Johnston-Hollitt at vuw.ac.nz<mailto:Melanie.Johnston-Hollitt at vuw.ac.nz>
+64 4 463 6543
Assistant: Ms Claire O’Connor
Claire.OConnor at vuw.ac.nz<mailto:Claire.OConnor at vuw.ac.nz>
+64 (04)463 4730
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the ASA