[ASA] Design Survey for the Next Swinburne Supercomputer (g2/gSTAR) - Your Input Required

Jarrod Hurley jhurley at swin.edu.au
Wed Apr 27 14:38:39 AEST 2016

Dear ASA Member,

We would appreciate your input into the design of the next Swinburne supercomputer
by completing the following survey regarding your high performance computing (HPC)
usage/needs:

https://ahassan.typeform.com/to/WIcDLG

In particular we would like input from current users of the facility and those who think they
may have a need to use such a facility in the future. We estimate that the survey will take
no more than 5 minutes to complete. It will remain open until 5pm Friday May 6th.

The current Swinburne supercomputer (g2) is a hybrid of conventional central processing
unit (CPU) and graphics processing unit (GPU) technology. It incorporates the GPU Supercomputer
for Theoretical Astrophysics Research (gSTAR) and operates as a national facility for the
astronomy community. In reality the facility is neither a GPU-only machine or restricted only to
theoretical work. With over 300 astronomy account holders it aims to provide astronomers
nationally with dedicated HPC resources regardless of whether they use
GPUs or CPUs for their computation and regardless of their field/type of research
(e.g. usage includes telescope data processing as well as simulations).

Installed in 2011 the current storage and compute node hardware is due for replacement
in the near future and as such we have started the preliminary design and information
gathering process. We envisage the facility continuing as an easy-to-access mid-level
supercomputer comprised of a mix of CPUs and accelerators.
Your input as part of informing this process is important.

Best regards,
Jarrod Hurley