[ASA] Announcement: SkyMapper Workshop 29-31 March 2016, Mt Stromlo

Kylie Williams k.williams at sydney.edu.au
Wed Feb 10 15:48:14 AEDT 2016

Dear Colleagues

Registrations are now open for SkyMapper Data Release 1: Maximising your Science being held in Canberra, Australia from 29-31 March 2016.  You can register here: SkyMapper Workshop Registration<http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/sifa/caastro/register/index.php?action=register&workshopId=98>.  This event is supported by CAASTRO.

SkyMapper's imminent first data release presents images and catalogs from the shallow Short Survey of the Southern Sky. All the published data is accessible via TopCat or our archive access website at skymapper.anu.edu.au<https://skymapper.anu.edu.au/>, and participants are encouraged to explore the site with the current test data before registering and the full DR1 before coming to the workshop.

At the workshop you can meet the team while you browse the archive, ask questions, point out barriers for science, explore collaboration and discuss possibilities for enhancing the functionality of the SkyMapper archive and interface. About a quarter of the time will be spent on introductions into the data properties and tutorials for data access. The remainder of the time is dedicated to hands-on work, 1-to-1 discussions between individuals or collaborations and the SkyMapper team.

The open schedule of the workshop is an opportunity for individuals or groups to set most of the workshop agenda on day 1 and choose topics for exploration. We will form working groups on the topics that are seen by the participants as most relevant. Every group can be supported by a SkyMapper team member and report back to the workshop.

Workshop Details:

*         Dates: 29 March - 31 March 2016

*         Location: CSO Common Room, RSAA Mount Stromlo, Canberra, ACT

*         Registration: for the meeting is free, supported by the sponsors, and includes lunch and tea breaks.  The registration deadline is Tuesday March 15th 2016.

Travel and Accommodation
Participants will arrange their own travel and accommodation; however, we list here some relatively convenient options in the general vicinity of the workshop venue.

*         University House ANU<http://www.anu.edu.au/unihouse>

*         Crowne Plaza<http://www.crowneplazacanberra.com.au/>: 1 Binara St Canberra, Ph: 1800 669 562

  *   Rydges Lakeside Canberra<http://www.rydges.com/accommodation/canberra-act/lakeside-canberra/>: 1 London Circuit, Canberra ACT 2601 Ph: (02) 6247 6244

Organising Committee:

  *   Julie Banfield
  *   Elisabete da Cunha
  *   Baerbel Koribalski
  *   Gerhard Meurer
  *   Anais Moeller
  *   Chris Onken
  *   Brad Tucker
  *   Marc White
  *   Kylie Williams
  *   Christian Wolf
  *   Fang Yuan

We look forward to welcoming you to the workshop. If you have any questions please contact: skymapper at anu.edu.au<mailto:skymapper at anu.edu.au>

KYLIE WILLIAMS | Events and Communications
CAASTRO | School of Physics | Faculty of Science |
ARC Centre of Excellence for All-sky Astrophysics

Rm 217 Building H90 | 44-70 Rosehill Street, Redfern | NSW |2016|

The University of Sydney | NSW | 2006
T +61 2 9114 2183  | F +61 2 9114 2195| M +61 478 404 619
Email k.williams at physics.usyd.edu.au<mailto:k.williams at physics.usyd.edu.au>  W  http:// www.caastro.org<http://www.caastro.org/>

Please note: I am in the office Monday, Wednesday and Thursday