[ASA] The 6th Subaru International Conference (Nov 28 - Dec 2; Hiroshima); 1st Circular

Andrew Hopkins andrew.hopkins at aao.gov.au
Wed Feb 10 14:27:26 AEDT 2016

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	[sbrconf16soc:13] Re: The 6th Subaru International Conference
(Nov 28 - Dec 2; Hiroshima); 1st Circular
Date: 	Wed, 10 Feb 2016 12:25:25 +0900 (JST)
From: 	Tadayuki Kodama <t.kodama at nao.ac.jp>
To: 	sbrconf16soc at ml.hiroshima-u.ac.jp

Dear Colleagues,

It is our great pleasure to announce the 6th Subaru International
Conference to be held in Hiroshima, Japan for Nov 28 - Dec 2 on wide
field studies of galaxy formation and evolution, and cosmology.

Please feel free to forward this announcement widely to potentially
interested colleagues.

We hope to see many participants at this conference in the beautiful
city of Hiroshima, perfectly set in the wonderful late autumn environment.

Best wishes,

Taddy Kodama on behalf of the SOC
National Astronomical Observatory of Japan

Koji Kawabata on behalf of hte LOC
Hiroshima University

                The 6th Subaru International Conference
                   Panoramas of the Evolving Cosmos
                            --+--+--+--+--
                         Nov 28 - Dec 2, 2016
                           Hiroshima, Japan
               International Conference Center Hiroshima
              http://hasc.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/subaruconf16/

<<Purpose>>

Subaru hosted its 1st international conference at Hayama, Japan in
Dec 2007 with the title "Panoramic Views of Galaxy Formation and
Evolution", in which we showcased and discussed the great achievements
of modern wide-field studies of galaxies across cosmic time to which
Subaru had been making significant contributions with its unique
wide-field instruments such as Suprime-Cam mounted on the prime focus
of the Subaru telescope.

The recent advent of the new prime focus camera Hyper Suprime-Cam (HSC)
in 2013, which now offers a 7 times wider field of view (1.77deg^2)
than Suprime-Cam, has revolutionized the survey power and is now
performing unprecedentedly large deep and wide legacy surveys of the
panoramic, evolving cosmos.
The gigantic prime focus spectrograph PFS, with ~2400 fibers over
a comparable FoV is also under construction, with operations
expected to start in 2019.

A number of other wide-field missions are also coming on line, such as
DES, VIPERS, LSST, WFIRST, EUCLID, as well as NIR--MIR missions.
We are entering into a new era in which the high-z Universe can be
as extensively explored as is the nearby Universe, and the closest
galaxies in the local Universe can be fully mapped.

With such exciting facilities in hand and a promising future ahead
of us, it is an appropriate time for us to meet together to present and
discuss new science results in various areas of galaxy evolution,
including some initial results from HSC. We will also discuss the future
directions of wide-field studies of galaxies and cosmology in 2020s.

<<Program>>

Nov 28: Cosmic Dawn
Nov 29: Cosmic Noon/Afternoon
Nov 30: Cosmology, Excursion to Miyajima (or free afternoon)
Dec 01: Wide Field Surveys, Banquet
Dec 02: Galaxy Archaeology

<<Invited Speakers>>

Peter Behroozi (STScI)
Richard Bower (Durham)
Rebecca Bowler (Oxford)
Benedetta Ciardi (MPA)
Elisabete da Cunha (ANU)
Pieter van Dokkum (Yale)
Natascha Foerster-Schreiber (MPE)
Anna Frebel (MIT)
Josh Frieman (Chicago)
Karl Glazebrook (Swinburne)
Jenny Greene (Princeton)
Puragra Guhathakurta (UCSC)
Luigi Guzzo (INAF)
Evan Kirby (Caltech)
Konrad Kuijken (Leiden)
Ivo Labbe (Leiden)
Alexie Leauthaud (Kavli-IPMU)
Satoshi Miyazaki (NAOJ)
Melissa Ness (MPIA)
Pascal Oesch (Yale)
John Peacock (Edinburgh)
Brant Robertson (UCSC)
John Silverman (Kavli-IPMU)
Dan Stark (Arizona)
David Weinberg (OSU)
Andrew Wetzel (Caltech)
Beth Willman (LSST)

<<Venue and Travel>>

This conference will be held in the International Conference Center
Hiroshima (ICCH), a representative public building in the Hiroshima Peace
Memorial Park located at Hiroshima city central.  There are many regular
domestic flights (~1.5hr) from Tokyo Haneda (or Tokyo Narita) airports to
Hiroshima airport. You can then reach to the city center with a limousin bus
(~40 min).  Also, there are frequent superexpress trains (JR Shinkansen) from
Tokyo station to Hiroshima station (~4hr trip, departure in every ~20 min
in daytime).

<<Accommodation>>

We have made a block reservation in a hotel near the venue on a special rate
for the conference participants. We recommend the overseas participants to
stay in the hotel. More information will appear on our webpage in due course.

<<Events>>

On the afternoon of the third day, Nov 30 (Wed), we will organize an
optional excursion to the World Heritage, Itsukushima (so-called, Miyajima)
shrine. Miyajima is also one of the three most specutacular scenic beauties
in Japan.  Late November - early Dec is the best season to visit there and
you can enjoy the breathtaking views set in autumn colors especially by the
maple tree leaves around the shrine.

On the evening of the fourth day, Dec 1 (Thu), the conference banquet will
be held in a popular restaurant within a walking distance of ICCH.
Taking this opportunity, we will celebrate Prof. Arimoto (Subaru Director)'s
forthcoming retirement.

<<Important Dates>>

February 10: 1st announcement
Late May: Registration opens; 2nd announcement
Late July: Deadline for abstract submission
Late August: Deadline for registration with a discount rate
Mid September : 3rd announcement with the full program
Late September : Deadline for registration
Nov 28 - Dec 2 : Conference

<<Scientific Organizing Committee>>

Masashi Chiba (Tohoku)
James Dunlop (Edinburgh)
Eiichi Egami (Arizona)
Richard Ellis (ESO)
Henry Ferguson (STScI)
Andrew Hopkins (AAO)
Tadayuki Kodama (NAOJ; Chair)
Olivier Le Fevre (LAM)
Tohru Nagao (Ehime)
Masami Ouchi (Tokyo)
Michael Strauss (Princeton)
Masahiro Takada (Kavli-IPMU)
Rosemary Wyse (JHU)

<<Local Organizing Committee>>

Koji Kawabata (Hiroshima; Chair)
Nobuhiro Okabe (Hiroshima)
Makoto Uemura (Hiroshima)
Yousuke Utsumi (Hiroshima)
Michitoshi Yoshida (Hiroshima)
Masaru Kajisawa (Ehime)
Subaru Secretaries (NAOJ)

sbrconf16loc at ml.hiroshima-u.ac.jp

Prof. Andrew Hopkins, Head of Research and Outreach
Australian Astronomical Observatory
P.O. Box 915, North Ryde, NSW 1670, Australia
ph: +61 2 9372 4849  fax: +61 2 9372 4880