[ASA] Early Announcement: "The Changing Face of Galaxies" conference, Tasmania, September 2016

Scott Croom scott.croom at sydney.edu.au
Sun Nov 15 21:40:09 AEDT 2015

Dear Colleagues,
Below is an early announcement message that I hope you will find of interest concerning a meeting we are organising in Tasmania next year.  I encourage you to pass this on to others who you think may be interested.
Best Regards
Scott Croom (for the SOC).

###################################################################################

The Changing Face of Galaxies: Uncovering Transformational Physics

2016 CAASTRO Scientific Conference
18 September to 23 September 2016
Wrest Point Hotel, Hobart, Tasmania

[Apologies if you receive this message multiple times.]

This is an early announcement of the 2016 CAASTRO Conference which will take place in Hobart, on the banks of the Derwent river in Tasmania.  Our aim is to consider the key physical processes which transform galaxies across cosmic time.  Registration will open in January 2016.

Brief Rationale

Fundamental to our understanding of galaxy formation is the question of how the galaxies seen at high redshift were transformed into the galaxy population we see around us today.  There have been profound changes to the galaxy population in terms of both structure and activity.  Structurally, galaxies are known to grow in size and change in morphological mix over time and this morphological mix is also well known to be strongly dependent on environment, with a much higher fraction of elliptical and lenticular galaxies in high density regions.  Concerning activity, the global rate of star formation is seen to peak at redshift, z~1-2, declining to the present day, and it is again strongly dependent on environment.  Activity due to the accretion of gas onto super-massive black holes similarly declines to the present day.

Central to tackling these problems is our ability to observe and simulate galaxies in new ways.  Observationally, new projects using spatially resolved spectroscopy are able to shed light on a broad range of physical processes.  At the same time observations at radio frequencies are opening up a new window on the gas content in galaxies, and large-scale multi-wavelength surveys are providing coverage of galaxies over their entire spectral energy distribution.  Together with this, the last few years has seen a number of breakthroughs in galaxy simulation, including large-scale cosmological hydrodynamical simulations, new views on feedback and the construction of realistic disk galaxies.  Our focus in the conference will be to bring together these different themes to discover which processes drive the  transformations we see in the galaxy population.

Scientific Organising Committee:

  *   Scott Croom (Chair), USYD
  *   Joss Bland-Hawthorn, USYD
  *   Kevin Bundy, IPMU
  *   Sara Ellison, UVIC
  *   Natascha Förster Schreiber, MPE
  *   Rosa González Delgado, IAA
  *   Martha Haynes, Cornell
  *   Phil Hopkins, Caltech
  *   Lisa Kewley, ANU
  *   Thorsten Naab, MPA
  *   Chris Power, UWA
  *   Amelie Saintonge, UCL
  *   Stas Shabala, UTAS
  *   Rachel Somerville, Rutgers

Local Organising Committee:

  *   Scott Croom, Chair  (USYD)
  *   Francesco D’Eugenio  (ANU)
  *   Kate Gunn  (USYD)
  *   Anne Medling  (ANU)
  *   Nic Scott  (USYD)
  *   Stas Shabala  (UTAS)
  *   Jesse van de Sande  (USYD)
  *   Dan Taranu  (UWA)
  *   Kylie Williams  (USYD)

Key Dates

  *   Registration/abstract open: 17 January 2016
  *   Oral Presentation Abstracts Close: 30 April 2016
  *   Early Bird Closes: 30 June 2016
  *   Conference dates: 18th-23rd September

Best regards,
Scott Croom (chair), on behalf of the SOC.

ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR SCOTT CROOM
Sydney Institute for Astronomy
School of Physics | Faculty of Science

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Rm 211, 44-70 Rosehill St Redfern, H90 | The University of Sydney | NSW | 2006
T +61 2 9036 5311  | F +61 2 9351 7726
E scott.croom at sydney.edu.au<mailto:scott.croom at sydney.edu.au>  | W sydney.edu.au/science/people/scott.croom<http://sydney.edu.au/science/people/scott.croom>
CRICOS 00026A
This email plus any attachments to it are confidential. Any unauthorised use is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please delete it and any attachments.
Please think of our environment and only print this e-mail if necessary.