[ASA] AAO workshop on the science of ULTIMATE

Chris Lidman chris.lidman at aao.gov.au
Mon Sep 14 11:36:57 AEST 2015

Dear Colleagues,
  We are planning a half-day workshop at the AAO to discuss the science of ULTIMATE, which is a future instrument on the Subaru Telescope
in the initial stages of planning.

The main capabilities of ULTIMATE are:

1. Multi-object IFU spectroscopy of several tens of objects, with a resolution of a few thousand.
2. Near-IR spectral coverage (0.9-1.7 microns)
3. Wide-field, ground-layer AO correction

It is expected that the first two capabilities will be available when the instrument is first made available, and that the capability to do
ground-layer AO correction will be made available later.

If you are interested in attending the workshop, either in person or remotely, or in giving a talk, then please sent an e-mail to me letting me know that you will
attend.

The meeting will occur on October 16th, starting at 9:30am. We’ll be done by lunchtime.
The venue is room #7 at the AAO offices in North Ryde.

The format of the meeting will be:

- Overview of ULTIMATE (20 min)
- Individual contributions (10 min each)
- Group discussion and next steps

The AAO will provide coffee and snacks for morning tea.

Kind Regards,

Chris Lidman

Head of National Facilities Support
Australian Astronomical Observatory