[ASA] Congratulations to Martin Asplund FAA

Matthew Colless matthew.colless at anu.edu.au
Mon May 25 23:31:59 AEST 2015

Dear ASA members,

The Australian Academy of Science today announced its new Fellows for 2015, and first on the list is Professor Martin Asplund - see https://www.science.org.au/fellows-elected-2015.

Please join with me in congratulating Martin as the newest astronomer to join the Academy in recognition of his outstanding research contributions. I append below the short citation from the Academy website.

Cheers, Matthew.

Professor Matthew Colless <matthew.colless at anu.edu.au<mailto:matthew.colless at anu.edu.au>>
Director, Research School of Astronomy & Astrophysics
The Australian National University, Canberra, ACT, Australia
Work: +61-2-6125-0266 Mobile:+61-431-898-345

[cid:E0E65287-3AA3-4483-9035-A1F252A3B26A]
Professor Martin Asplund FAA
Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics, The Australian National University

Martin Asplund’s work in solar and stellar physics has changed the way in which we approach atomic and nuclear physics and a wide range of astrophysics, from planetary science and stellar physics through to Galactic archaeology and cosmology.

Martin Asplund is distinguished for his research on solar and stellar physics, planets outside the Milky Way, the evolution of the Milky Way and the first stars to form in the Universe. His innovative work on the atmospheres of stars provides a new level of precision in understanding the stars’ elements, because of the realistic way in which it treats convection in their atmospheres. Martin’s revisions to the solar element abundances, based on these new models, have impacted research in atomic and nuclear physics and in a wide range of astrophysics, from planetary science and stellar physics through to Galactic archaeology and cosmology.

BIO—Professor Martin Asplund is an ARC Laureate Fellow at the Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics at the Australian National University. He obtained his PhD in theoretical astrophysics at Uppsala University in 1997. After a postdoctoral fellowship at the Nordic Institute for Theoretical Physics (Nordita) he returned to Uppsala as an assistant professor. He joined the faculty at ANU in 2002 where he quickly was promoted to full professor in 2006. In 2007 he was headhunted for the directorship of the Max Planck Institute for Astrophysics in Germany, the leading European centre for theoretical and computational astrophysics. In 2011 he returned to ANU as an ARC Laureate Fellow. Professor Asplund has very broad research interests, covering topics from the Sun and extrasolar planets to our Milky Way and the early Universe using both theory, computations and observations. His work is among the most cited astronomy research worldwide over the past decade.