[ASA] Fwd: STA statement on STEM focus in Opposition Budget-in-Reply speech

Andrew Hopkins andrew.hopkins at aao.gov.au
Mon May 18 15:14:38 AEST 2015

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	STA statement on STEM focus in Opposition Budget-in-Reply speech
Date: 	Fri, 15 May 2015 14:18:22 +1000
From: 	Catriona Jackson <catriona.jackson at sta.org.au>
To: 	Catriona Jackson <catriona.jackson at sta.org.au>

*** STA Presidents and friends - please send to you members***

Dear Colleagues,

you may have head the news regarding a number of Science and Technology
policy initiatives advanced as part of the Opposition’s Budget-in-Reply
speech.

I have attached for your information the STA media statement, as well as
link to the facts sheets on the policy plans themselves should you wish
to read further. http://www.futuresmartaustralia.org

I have been informed that this is the start of a serious policy
development process which will involve significant consultation with the
sector.

It is unusually early in the electoral cycle for such plans to be
released, and a very pleasing development that I think the scientific
community can feel proud of.

As always feedback invited.

Regards,

Catriona Jackson.

STRONG FOCUS ON STEM FROM OPPOSITION

"It is heartening to see a strong focus on Science, Technology,
Engineering and Maths (STEM) as the drivers of a smart, modern
Australian in Opposition Leader Bill Shorten's budget-in-reply speech.
It is also good to see some concrete policy proposals advanced to
support the rhetoric," according to STA CEO Catriona Jackson.

"STA members will be pleased to see the emphasis on encouraging more and
better STEM education and graduates as well as initiatives to support
the translation of smart ideas into products and productivity.

"Something serious needs to be done to get more STEM graduates flowing
through the system to take up the jobs of the future. Our economy is
changing, 75 per cent of the fastest growing jobs require STEM skills,
and we must increase the supply or be left behind.

The Opposition’s proposed initiatives include:

  * 3 per cent of GDP committed to research and development by 2030
  * 25,000 new STEM teachers
  * Extra STEM training for existing teachers to fill skills gaps
  * 100,000 STEM graduates to have their HECS-debts wiped out
  * $500 million smart investment scheme, to support start-ups
  * Computer coding, 'the language of the modern era', to be taught in
    all schools

“This looks like the start of science and innovation policy from the
opposition and we look forward to seeing more. Science and technology is
too important to attract anything less than full-blooded bi-partisan
support,” Ms Jackson said

STA is the peak group for the nation's 68,000 scientists and those
working in technology. STA's mission is to bring together scientists,
governments, industry and the broader community to advance the role,
reputation and impact of science and technology in Australia.

____

Catriona Jackson
Chief Executive Officer
Science & Technology Australia

T: 02 6257 2891| M: 0417 142 238| F: 02 6257 2897
PO Box 259, Canberra City ACT 2601
Website <http://scienceandtechnologyaustralia.org.au>| Twitter
<http://twitter.com/ScienceAU> | Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/scienceAU> | YouTube
<https://www.youtube.com/user/scienceandtechau>

--
Prof. Andrew Hopkins, Head of Research and Outreach
Australian Astronomical Observatory