[ASA] The Many Pathways to Galaxy Growth - First Annoucement

John O'Byrne john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au
Fri Oct 10 23:59:31 AEDT 2014

FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT

The Many Pathways to Galaxy Growth

http://www.moca.monash.edu/conferences/pathways
22 - 26 June 2015
Prato, Italy
To receive further annnouncements please pre-register at the conference website.
Scientific Rationale
The aim of this conference is to bring together theorists and observers to discuss the many pathways that lead to, and restrict, galaxy growth. While there have been very significant advances in our understanding of galaxy growth since the start of the 21st century, key details have yet to been understood.
What are the relative roles of galaxy mergers and secular evolution in galaxy growth? What mechanisms are enhancing and regulating star formation within galaxies? How do these mechanisms for enhancing and regulating galaxy growth vary with both galaxy mass and redshift?
Topics to be discussed at the conference include (but are not limited to), the most massive galaxies, disks across the Universe, the challenge of dwarf galaxies, galaxy growth at the highest redshifts, the importance of secular evolution, gas and the fuelling of star formation, the importance of mergers, the role of environment, feedback, tensions between models and observations, and challenges for the ELT and SKA era.
Location
The conference will be held at the Monash University Prato Centre, in beautiful Tuscany. The historic town of Prato lies a short distance north of Florence. The facilities enable a conference of ~100 people to attend. We are planning to organise an excursion one afternoon to the Tuscan countryside.
Format
The conference will consist of 4.5 days of Talks (and Posters). Regular Contributed talks and longer Invited talks will be chosen on the basis of the submitted abstracts. To encourage the exchange of ideas, there will be ample time for questions after each talk and appropriate time for informal discussions during coffee breaks and lunches. We also encourage speakers to discuss new research (including unpublished research) or to present reviews of important aspects of the field. Registration fees are yet to be finalised but we intend to offer a discount to all current PhD students. The fee will be inclusive of the coffee breaks, lunches and the conference dinner.
Important Dates
Now: register your interest on the conference website
13th February 2015	Talk and Poster abstracts due
27th February 2015	Selected Talks and Posters announced
13th March 2015	Registration Fee due
22th - 26th June 2015	Conference
SOC
Michael Brown (Chair)
Samantha Penny (Deputy Chair)
Eric Bell
Alessandro Boselli
Luca Cortese
Gabriella De Lucia
Jennifer Lotz
Rachel Somerville
Please circulate this email within your own institution.
Sincerely
Michael Brown, on behalf of the SOC