[ASA] Fwd: STA BUDGET UPDATE

John O'Byrne john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au
Tue May 13 22:42:03 AEST 2014

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Catriona Jackson <catriona.jackson at sta.org.au>
> Subject: STA BUDGET UPDATE
> Date: 13 May 2014 10:23:30 pm AEST
> To: Catriona Jackson <catriona.jackson at sta.org.au>
>
> **STA presidents – please send on to your members ASAP**
>
> Dear STA members and Friends,
> Tonight’s Federal Budget has been a mixed one for science and technology.
>
> Some of the more serious rumoured cuts – especially to CSIRO, have not materialised, with perhaps the most notable life-line being thrown to big science infrastructure in the form of $150m for one additional year (2015-16) of the National Collaborative Research Infrastructure Strategy (NCRIS).
>
> However the budget cuts $420 million over the next 4 years from five science agencies — the Australian Research Council (ARC) ($74.9m), the CSIRO ($111.4m), the Defence Science and Technology Organisation (DSTO) ($120m), Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation (ANSTO) ($27.6m), and Australian Institute of Marine Science (AIMS) ($7.8m) – as well as Cooperative Research Centres (CRCs) program ($80m).
>
> As always the full impact on science is very hard to assess accurately, because there is science and technology in almost everything we do - across almost every government department and agency.
>
> We will spend the following days and weeks scrutinising the papers to give you the clearest picture possible, but here is our initial summary straight from the budget lock up.
>
> Regards,
> STA CEO Catriona Jackson
>

> Budget 2014/15
>
> Science agency cuts
>
> Feared big cuts to CSIRO have not materialised, but a series of cuts across science agencies have gone ahead. There are cuts of $420 million over the next 4 years, to five science agencies — the Australian Research Council (ARC) ($74.9m), the CSIRO ($111.4m), the Defence Science and Technology Organisation (DSTO) ($120m), Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation (ANSTO) ($27.6m), and Australian Institute of Marine Science (AIMS) ($7.8m) – as well as the Cooperative Research Centres (CRCs) program ($80m).
>
> NCRIS
>
> Big science infrastructure - including leading-edge facilities like the Australia Synchrotron - has had a significant, short-term reprieve with a one year injection of $150million for 2015/16. This is a boost in annual allocation terms, but is only for one year
>
> Australian Research Council (ARC)
>
> The Future Fellowships scheme - for top rank mid-career researchers - will continue but in in much reduced terms, with $140m available for fellowships over the next 4 years, compared with $150m each year previously. It is unclear whether the fellowships will be of the same value.
>
> A number of measures will be funded out of ARC funds, including an Antarctic Gateway Partnership.
>
> The total final budget impact on the ARC is unclear.

> [...]

ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR JOHN O’BYRNE
Associate Head (Teaching & Learning), School of Physics
Associate Dean (Standards), Faculty of Science
Secretary, Astronomical Society of Australia Inc.

Sydney Institute for Astronomy
School of Physics | Faculty of Science

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Rm 205, Physics Building A28Rm 222 | alternate: 44-70 Rosehill St Redfern H90 (see map)
Postal address: School of Physics | The University of Sydney | NSW | Australia | 2006
T +61 2 9351 3184  | F +61 2 9351 7726
E john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au  | W  http://sydney.edu.au/science/physics/~obyrne

CRICOS 00026A
This email plus any attachments to it are confidential. Any unauthorised use is strictly prohibited.
If you receive this email in error, please delete it and any attachments.

This email uses 100% recycled words and ideas.  Do you really need to print it?