[ASA] Call for Feedback: WG 3.2, Education, Outreach, and Careers

Amanda Bauer amanda.bauer at aao.gov.au
Fri May 9 14:01:26 AEST 2014

hello everyone,

this is a final call for your feedback for the decadal plan WG 3.2 on
"Education, Outreach, and Careers."

as we start to organize all the great information we've collected from
town hall meetings and received through email, we want to make sure you
have another chance to voice your opinions on what you think priorities
should be.  if you came away from any of the town hall meetings thinking
there were a few key points made, please let us know what those are!

please respond by next **friday 16 May**

thank you!
amanda

ps. some questions to get you going...

- Are more programs needed to engage a specific audience?
- Since our available time is limited, what programs should we focus on
and what provide the most benefit?
- How can we increase our support and awareness of existing programs?
- How do we obtain funding for key activities?
- How do we advertise these programs?

- Primary School Groups - What outreach and education activities should
we be engaging in?
- School visits / talks
- Star-gazing
- Educational materials

- High School / Secondary Groups - How do we keep students engaged in
Astronomy and encourage them for University study and  Astronomy careers?
- Work Experience
- After school / extension programs
- Supporting the Australian curriculum

- University and Graduate Students - What do we need to provide for both
scientific and practical knowledge?
- Summer programs and research opportunities
- PhD and job applications support
- Careers outside of academia

- General Public - How do we increase an awareness and support of Astronomy?
- Public events (star-gazing, lectures, Open Day's)
- Engaging the public in astronomy research (e.g. Radio Galaxy Zoo)
- Politicians (e.g. Science meets Parliament for each state?)
- Social / online media
- A National Astronomy Week (akin to National Science Week?)

--
Dr Amanda Bauer
Astronomer and Outreach Officer