[ASA] WG 3.2 Canberra Town Hall Meeting Tomorrow, Tuesday 18 March
Brad E. Tucker
brad at mso.anu.edu.au
Mon Mar 17 14:43:17 AEDT 2014
We will be having our next Town Hall meeting for WG 3.2 - Education, Outreach and Careers, tomorrow, Tuesday 18 March, from 2-4pm at Mt. Stromlo Observatory, ANU.
For this Town Hall Meeting, we'll focus on how we can engage each audience and what is needed to be successful.
- Are more programs needed to engage a specific audience?
- Since our available time is limited, what programs should we focus on and what provide the most benefit?
- How can we increase our support of existing programs?
- How do we obtain funding for key activities?
- How do we advertise these programs?
- Primary School Groups - What outreach and education activities should we be engaging in?
- School visits / talks
- Star gazing
- Educational materials
- High School / Secondary Groups - How do we keep students engaged in Astronomy and encourage them for University study and Astronomy careers?
- Work Experience
- After school / extension programs
- Supporting the Australian curriculum
- University and Graduate Students - What do we need to provide for both scientific and practical knowledge?
- Summer programs and research opportunities
- PhD and job applications support
- Careers outside of academia
- General Public - How do we increase an awareness and support of Astronomy?
- Public events (star-gazing, lectures, Open Day's)
- Engaging the public in astronomy research (e.g. Radio Galaxy Zoo)
- Politicians (e.g. Science meets Parliament)
- Social / online media
- A National Astronomy Week (akin to National Science Week?)
Please let me know if you'll be attending in person. For those connecting via phone/video conferencing facilities, details are available. The facilities will be available starting at 1:30 pm so you can test / set-up the connection beforehand.
To join by video:
via IP dial 184.108.40.206
via SIP dial 61262112667 at aarnet.edu.au
via ISDN dial +61262112667
To select and enter your conference use your far end camera button and enter the conference ID of: 2667 followed by a hash #
To join by phone:
dial +61262112667 (International Format) or:
For dialing within Australia subtract the +61 and add a 0 ie (02) 6211xxxx
If you'd like to stream from your laptop, please visit http://video.aarnet.edu.au. Please note viewing the live steam will only allow you to see the meeting (i.e. not participate). The meeting will be recorded and also available via the link above.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the ASA