[ASA] Final Announcement - Exploring the Radio Transient Sky - Register by November 18th

Tara Murphy tara at physics.usyd.edu.au
Mon Nov 11 09:27:13 AEDT 2013

        VAST Workshop Final Announcement
           Exploring the Radio Transient Sky
             5th and 6th of December, 2013
             Sydney Institute for Astronomy
                The University of Sydney

           http://caastro.org/event/2013-vast

*** There are still a few places left - register by November 18th ***

The ASKAP Variables and Slow Transients project (VAST) is a suite of
surveys designed to comprehensively explore variable and slow transient
behaviour on timescales from seconds to years. The scientific goals cover a
wide range of areas, from gamma-ray bursts and supernovae, to extreme
scattering events and scintillation, to magnetars, X-ray binaries and brown
dwarfs.

ASKAP commissioning is well underway, and early science observations are
expected to commence at the end of 2014. With this in mind, we are holding
a meeting to discuss the latest developments in scientific areas of
interest to VAST and also plan our Early Science strategy.

Confirmed speakers include:

* Martin Bell (University of Sydney)
* Hayley Bignall (Curtin University)
* Steve Croft (University of California, Berkeley)
* George Djorgovski (California Institute of Technology)
* Ciro Donalek (California Institute of Technology)
* Giancarlo Ghirlanda (INAF-Osservatorio Astronomico di Brera)
* Matthew Graham (California Institute of Technology)
* Paul Hancock (Curtin University)
* Aidan Hotan (CSIRO Astronomy and Space Science)
* Simon Johnston (CSIRO Astronomy and Space Science)
* J-P Macquart (Curtin University)
* Stuart Ryder (Australian Astronomical Observatory)
* Brian Schmidt (Australian National University)
* Randall Wyath (Curtin University)
* Peter Williams (Harvard University)

Everyone is welcome to attend. Registration is free, and morning tea, lunch
and afternoon tea are included.

More information is available on our website:
http://caastro.org/event/2013-vast

We still have a few places left so have extended the registration deadline
to November 18th.

Tara

--
DR TARA MURPHY | Senior Lecturer
Sydney Institute for Astronomy | School of Physics | Faculty of Science

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Room 565, School of Physics, A28 | Room 448, School of IT, J12
The University of Sydney | NSW | 2006
T +61 2 9351 4723                       | T +61 2 9351 3041

E tara at physics.usyd.edu.au      | E tm at it.usyd.edu.au