[ASA] [Fwd: STA WELCOMES ALP SCIENCE POLICY]

Andrew Hopkins ahopkins at aao.gov.au
Tue Sep 3 14:28:09 AEST 2013

------------------------------ Original Message ------------------------------
Subject: STA WELCOMES ALP SCIENCE POLICY
From:    "Catriona Jackson" <catriona.jackson at sta.org.au>
Date:    Tue, September 3, 2013 1:52 pm
To:      undisclosed-recipients:;

03/09/2013

STA WELCOMES ALP SCIENCE POLICY

Science & Technology Australia welcomed the ALP science and research policy,
released today.

STA President Professor Michael Holland said:

“STA has long called for a strategic and sustainable plan for investment in
science and research. Such a plan would allow Australia to adapt as the
resources boom wanes, emerging stronger, smarter and more resilient.

“Scientists applaud ALP commitments to:

         Implement a strategy for long-term investment in research and
research infrastructure;

         Commission a review, chaired by the Chief Scientist, to advise
government on the most appropriate ways to secure future funding for
landmark research facilities, and

         Implement the recent report from the Chief Scientist, Science,
Technology, Engineering and Mathematics in the National Interest: A
Strategic Approach (2013).

“We strongly support the ALP’s statement that science and research 'hold the
key to our future global competitiveness and our prosperity and harmony at
home'.

"Initiatives to bring industry and research closer together through the
establishment of a new National Innovation Council and Australian Innovation
Partnerships are also welcomed.

"Higher education as well as innovation and international education
commitments are also included in the raft of announcements made today.

“Australia’s achievements in science, technology and innovation will shape our
prosperity in the 21st century, and dictate the kinds of jobs and lives our
children will have.

“Support for science should be above politics, a matter of multi-party support.

“We call on the Coalition to tell the public about their vision for a
stronger, smarter nation so that voters can make an evidence-based choice on
polling day,” Professor Holland said.

STA is the peak group for the nation’s 68,000 scientists and those working in
technology. STA’s mission is to bring together scientists, governments,
industry and the broader community to advance the role, reputation and impact
of science and technology in Australia.

Full policy detail is available here:
http://www.senatorkimcarr.com/latest-news.html

_______
Media comment: STA CEO Catriona Jackson – 0417 142 238

Catriona Jackson
Chief Executive Officer
Science & Technology Australia
Giving voice to Australian Science & Technology for over 27 years
www.sta.org.au
www.respectthescience.org.au
catriona.jackson at sta.org.au

T:  02 6257 2891
M: 0417142238

PO Box 259
Canberra City ACT 2601

--
A.Prof. Andrew Hopkins, Head of AAT Science
Australian Astronomical Observatory