[ASA] PhD Opportunities at MoCA (Monash University)

John Lattanzio john.lattanzio at monash.edu
Tue Jul 16 16:38:43 AEST 2013

     PhD Opportunities at The Monash Centre for Astrophysics

The Monash Centre for Astrophysics (MoCA) is one of the most
active and diverse astronomy centres in Australia. With a total
of 24 staff housed in both the School of Physics and the
School of Mathematical Sciences we are in a position to offer
cutting edge research projects in theoretical, observational,
and computational areas, as well as offering projects that
combine two or more of these approaches.

Particularly strong research areas include

    Extra-Solar Planets
    Star formation
    Solar physics
    Galaxy Evolution
    Galactic Chemical Evolution
    Galactic Archaeology
    Active Galaxies
    Stellar Astrophysics
    Nuclear Astrophysics
    High Energy Astrophysics
    Astrophysical Computational Hydrodynamics
    Astrophysical Magnetohydrodynamics
    Supercomputing
    Stellar and Planetary Dynamics
    Supernova physics
    General Relativity
    Black Holes
    Gravitational Wave Astrophysics
    X-Ray astronomy and neutron stars

Students with an excellent academic record are encouraged
to seek further information from the MoCA website (moca.monash.edu)
and from individual staff members listed on the site. For
general enquiries please email relevant staff or the Director,
John Lattanzio on  john.lattanzio at monash.edu

Applications close on October 31 2013 for scholarships starting
between Jan 1 and June 30 2014. However, you are encouraged to
contact potential supervisors well in advance. Top-ups to the
standard scholarship are available for certain projects.

MoCA has a vibrant culture with over 30 postgraduate students.
Staff include a mix of tenured Faculty and research fellows with
prestigious Fellowships, such as our six ARC Future Fellows.

--

Professor John Lattanzio
Monash Centre for Astrophysics
School of Mathematical Sciences
Building 28, Monash University
Victoria 3800 AUSTRALIA

Ph:  +61 (0)3 9905-4428
Fax: +61 (0)3 9905-4403
WWW: www.maths.monash.edu.au/~johnl/<http://www.maths.monash.edu.au/%7Ejohnl/>

"I've taken Prozac, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Ritalin and Focalin. I've
studied deeply in philosophy and religion. But somehow cheerfulness kept
breaking through."
          -- Leonard Cohen