[ASA] Early-bird registration open: Conference 'A New Era of Stellar Astrophysics with Kepler'

Dennis Stello stello at physics.usyd.edu.au
Fri Mar 1 12:59:55 AEDT 2013

Dear ASA members,

Registration is now open for the conference, KASC6: 'A New Era of Stellar
Astrophysics with Kepler'.  Early-bird registration fees will apply to all
payments made before the end of 30 March 2013.  For more information
please go to kasc6.com.

For your convenience our first announcement is included in this email (see
below).

We have received significant sponsorship deals which has resulted in
substantial subsidies towards registration fees (especially for students)
and tickets for the conference dinner.

One of our sponsors (White Dwarf Research Corp.) has made a special
initiative aimed at supporting postdocs/early-career researchers (<5
years since PhD).

-------------White Dwarf Research Corp. ECR Sponsorship --------------
White Dwarf Research Corp. is proud to co-sponsor KASC6 in Sydney.
With your help, WDRC will provide additional sponsorship to KASC6 to
support partial reimbursement of registration fees for non-student
early-career scientists (<5 years since PhD).

As you may know, WDRC sponsorship is funded by the Pale Blue Dot project
(http://whitedwarf.org/palebluedot). Much of the revenue from this program
(~$1000/mo.) comes from keyword-based advertising sponsored by Google.
For the period March 1 - April 30, all revenue collected by the Pale Blue
Dot project through a unique link that is unrelated to Google advertising
will be used to provide partial reimbursement of registration fees for
early-career scientists who give a talk or poster at the meeting. Please
register at the regular rate, and you will be partially reimbursed at the
meeting.

There are two things that you can do to promote the Pale Blue Dot project
during this period: (1) recommend the program through your offline and
online social networks, noting that you will be a direct beneficiary of
the funds raised; and (2) contact your local media outlets, using the
recent example of Kepler-37 to describe the Kepler mission and how this
non-profit program will help you attend the annual KASC meeting.

If you would like to establish such a unique link that you can use to
promote the project (and claim the resulting revenue), please
contact Travis Metcalfe (travis at whitedwarf.org) to set one up.
Thanks, and good luck!  Travis Metcalfe (WDRC)

We are looking forward to seeing you in Sydney.

Kind regards
Dennis Stello (chair LOC)
Tim Bedding
Othman Benomar
Charles Kuehn
Simon O'Toole
Tim White

-------------------------------
DENNIS STELLO | Senior Lecturer
School of Physics A28 | Faculty of Science

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Rm225, K90 | The University of Sydney | NSW | 2006
T +61 2 9036 5108  | F +61 2 9351 7726
E stello at physics.usyd.edu.au  | W http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/~stello/

-------------------------- FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT ---------------------------

Dear ASA members,

KASC6: A New Era of Stellar Astrophysics with Kepler
23-28 June 2012 Novotel Sydney Central (ex Citigate), Sydney

We are please to announce that the next big Kepler conference will be in
Sydney, 23-28 June 2013.  The conference will be open to anyone (no
membership of particular science teams required), and we particularly
welcome participants from the Australian astronomical community.

The main themes of the conference will be Stellar structure and evolution,
Stellar activity and rotation, Binary stars, and connections to Extrasolar
planets, but we welcome any abstracts submission that are related to
Kepler data.  We seek abstract submissions on both theoretical and
observational aspects.

This event offers a great opportunity to establish new links within
research fields that have experienced dramatic progress in recent years
due to space missions like Kepler, particularly stellar astrophysics
and planet science.

Conference website: kasc6.com