[ASA] ANU Siding Spring Observatory Fire - Staff Emergency Relief Fund + Fundraising Dinner

John O'Byrne john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au
Mon Jan 21 08:44:02 AEDT 2013

This begs the question if the ASA is doing anything and may pre-empt any attempt by us to raise funds from members (they may have already donated to ANU).  I think we should now say what, if anything, we plan to do.

John

On 21/01/2013, at 7:45 AM, Kate Brooks <Kate.Brooks at csiro.au> wrote:

> Dear ASA members,
>
> ANU has established a Staff Emergency Relief Fund to assist the ANU Siding Spring Observatory staff and their families who were affected by the recent Wambelong fire in NSW. Priority will be given to those with the most urgent needs. Excess funds will be applied to the restoration of the Observatory site. Donations can be made online or using a donation form. See the following link for further information:
> http://philanthropy.anu.edu.au/philanthropy/donate-online/search/?cause=anu-siding-spring-observatory-fire-staff-emergency-relief-fund
>
> University House, with the generous support of its suppliers, is hosting a Bushfire Appeal Dinner in support of the staff members and their families who have been affected by the Wambelong fire at Siding Spring Observatory. The 3 course dinner with selected wines will be held in the Great Hall on Friday 25 January at 6pm. The cost is $75 per person, which will go to the ANU Siding Spring Observatory Bush Fire Staff Emergency Relief Fund and the Australian Red Cross. For further information visit the University House website:
> http://www.anu.edu.au/unihouse/
>
> Kind regards,
> Kate Brooks
> ASA, President

> Change membership status or contact information via ASA's Edit Membership page
> http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/~asamail/asa_membership/asa_members_user_edit.php

ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR JOHN O’BYRNE
Associate Head (Teaching & Learning)
Chair, School Teaching & Learning Committee
Secretary, Astronomical Society of Australia Inc.

Sydney Institute for Astronomy
School of Physics | Faculty of Science

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Rm 222, 44-70 Rosehill St Redfern H90 (see map) | (alternate: Rm 205, Physics Building A28)
Postal address: School of Physics | The University of Sydney | NSW | Australia | 2006
T +61 2 9351 3184  | F +61 2 9351 7726
E john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au  | W  http://sydney.edu.au/science/physics/~obyrne

CRICOS 00026A
This email plus any attachments to it are confidential. Any unauthorised use is strictly prohibited.
If you receive this email in error, please delete it and any attachments.

This email uses 100% recycled words and ideas.  Do you really need to print it?