[ASA] .Astronomy 5 Announcement

Amanda Bauer amanda.bauer at aao.gov.au
Tue Jan 15 09:48:27 AEDT 2013

(i'm submitting this announcement on behalf of the .astronomy crew.  -
amanda)

We're happy to announce that you can now sign up for .Astronomy 5. Our
fifth event will be hosted by Harvard's Seamless Astronomy group at
Microsoft's New England Research and Development Center in Cambridge,
MA, USA. Mark your diary, iCal, Google Calendar for the date: September
16-18, 2013. We'll be collecting together 50 attendees for a three-day
conference, unconference and hack day: all about astronomy online.

The Internet provides an incredible platform for astronomers and
astrophysical research. .Astronomy (pronounced 'dot-astronomy') aims to
bring together an international community of astronomy researchers,
developers, educators and communicators to showcase, generate ideas for,
and collaborate on innovative web-based projects, from research tools
and data analysis to outreach and education. .Astronomy is not just for
academics: we regularly attract participation and support from
high-profile technology companies, such as Microsoft Research, Google
and O'Reilly Media.

.Astronomy events are held (almost) once a year. The most recent edition
was in Heidelberg in July 2012. The events are focused, but informal,
and encourage collaboration on new ideas that can benefit astronomy in a
variety of ways.

We limit .Astronomy to roughly 50 people: a number that we find is large
enough to inspire productive group work, and that everyone can
contribute, but not so large that participants can hide in anonymity.
This year's sign up form  can be found at http://bit.ly/Wv4PMt - it will
remain open into February. Participants will be selected based on the
information provided in the form, so if you'd like to come, please tell
us why and what you hope to contribute to the conference.

If you have any questions about the signup process, then drop us a line
@dotastronomy or via robert.simpson at dotastronomy.com
<mailto:robert.simpson at dotastronomy.com>. For for information, visit
http://dotastronomy.com/.

Thanks,

Robert Simpson
Oxford University/Zooniverse

--
Dr Amanda E. Bauer, Super Science Fellow
Australian Astronomical Observatory