[ASA] ASA President Update

Kate.Brooks at csiro.au Kate.Brooks at csiro.au
Fri Jul 6 11:46:17 AEST 2012

Dear members,

After a close ballot, the ASA council members for 2012/13 were announced at the 2012 Annual General Meeting (AGM) held on Wednesday 4 July 2012.  The new Council is listed below. Thank you to all those who nominated and I welcome our new Council member, Cath Trott  (ICRAR, Curtin). A special thanks to John Lattanzio whose term came to an end at the AGM. John has been a member of Council since 2002 and was Chair of the PASA Editorial Board between 2002 and 2008.

Please find attached the 2012 President's Report presented at the AGM.  I look forward to another year full of exciting results, distinguished awards and other success stories from our membership.

One piece of news that was reported on during the AGM is that PASA’s current publishing contract with CSIRO Publishing ends on 31 Dec 2012. The Council and the PASA editorial board are very excited to announce that a new 5-year publishing contract has just been signed with Cambridge University Press (CUP).

Also, from now on, please send any messages for distribution to the ASA membership to: asa at physics.usyd.edu.au

I would like to take this opportunity to thank again the team from UNSW, chaired by Maria Cunningham, for organising a highly successful and enjoyable meeting. Hope to see you all next year at Monash.

Kate Brooks,
ASA, President

Dr Kate Brooks (CSIRO)                                  President
Dr Andrew Hopkins (AAO)                                 Vice-President
Prof Lister Staveley-Smith (ICRAR/UWA)  Immediate Past President
Ass Prof John O’Byrne (USyd)                            Secretary
Dr Marc Duldig (UTas)                                   Secretary
Dr Katrina Sealey (AAO)                                 Treasurer

Ass Prof Andrew Walsh (JCU)                             Councillor
Dr Catherine Trott (ICRAR/Curtin)                        Councillor
Amanda Karakas  (ANU)                                   Councillor
Dr Gavin Rowell (UAdelaide)                               Councillor
Dr Darren Croton (Swin)                                   Councillor
Andy Casey (ANU)                                                 Student Representative

Prof Bryan Gaensler (USyd)                              Chair, PASA Editorial Board
Dr Tanya Hill    (Melb.Planetarium)                      Prizes and Awards Coordinator