[Limdep Nlogit List] About dominance in D-optimal design

Thomas Eagle teagle at tceagle.com
Wed Feb 17 04:06:40 AEDT 2021

Lixian,

Technically the dominated alternative is only required to make the design more d-optimal.  If you are willing to sacrifice some d-optimality you can remove it.  Having a dominant alternative in a task is not useful information if the alternative it dominates is never chosen and as such it is a waste of task/design space.  The dominated and dominant alternative adds no useful information to the model estimation.  I typically build the design such that domination does not occur, but that sacrifices d-optimality.  A short cut approach is to modify by hand the dominate alternative so that is does not dominate any longer.  I would only do that if you have no means to restrict the initial or final design to exclude such dominance.

Tom Eagle