[Limdep Nlogit List] Question on socio-demographic characteristicsand the MNL model

Durham, Cathy cathy.durham at oregonstate.edu
Fri Oct 2 08:59:42 EST 2009

They are meaningful in changing the relative probability of each choice.
Specifically parameters on consumer variables measure how the utility
changes relative to the final choice in which it is not included, thus
if positive it increases the first two choices relative to your third.
You can get the marginal effects from a change in age to the probability
of the three choices by adding.
; Effects; Age[*] $
You can also use different parameters for the two choices if you think
age effects the first choices differently relative to the choice of
hotline, which seems possible. Though if you do you will need to add up
the effects on the three diffent probabilities tables. Or in that case
you might want to simulate the impact controlling to make age change in
all choices simultaneously. For the latter you have to run the model
normally (baseline scenario) and then something like this-
	;Simulation;Scenario:age(store)=[=]1 /age(internet)=[=]1$
Which will give prob changes for a 1 unit change in age averaged over
all the observations.
I've recently discovered all sorts of fun stuff in the Nlogit guide.