[Limdep Nlogit List] Bass-type diffusion of innovation models

Fred Feinberg feinf at umich.edu
Wed Sep 24 01:12:08 EST 2008

Another way to do this, if your probabilities are on a 'grid' (i.e., they
have been expressed, for example, as 0%, 10%, 20%, ..., 90%, 100%) is to
treat them as ordinal, and use an ordered probit or logit model. This isn't
strictly correct from a modeling perspective, but at least it accounts for
more shades of gray between 0% and 100%.

A better way is to use Rost's (1985) rank-ordered binomial model. I'm not
sure if LIMDEP natively supports this (Prof. Greene would know). I've
estimated the model from scratch using MATLAB, and also natively using MLWin;
the likelihood isn't difficult to write down, and the outcomes are
probabilities, so the dependent variable type is correct. It also
accommodates 0% and 100% responses.

Fred

=====

Prof. Fred Feinberg