[GPlates-discuss] GPlates-discuss Digest, Vol 52, Issue 4

Christopher Scotese cscotese at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 03:54:13 AEDT 2019

John & Christian

Thanks for your comments and support.

See my interlinear replies.

Regards,

Chris

> Hi John & Chris,
>
> seconding the "shift click" multiple feature select option proposed by
> Chris. I think 'shift click' on most OSs is mapped to "select multiple
> items", so it seems logical to me.

Thanks!

> Re the "move/morph" features tool: That exact functionality is available
> readily in other GIS software such as QGIS (qgis.org) or ArcGis. In QGIS
> you can find the tools under the "advanced editing toolbox" which allows to
> rotate/move features. The only problem there is that this will not work
> with feature collections in *.gpml format - so all your data needs to be in
> ESRI *.shp format.

The GIS function is a 2D rotation/transform. I am suggesting a 3D rotation.

> Cheers,
> Christian
>

> Hi Chris,
>
> Thanks for your suggestions.
>
> In terms of current plans? There?s a symbology plan (that?s been on paper
> for a while) for more flexible control over points/lines/fill/etc.  Same
> with selecting multiple features.

Good to hear.  I have developed some code to plot (non-distorting) text,
numbers, & symbols on the globe (see attached image).  You are welcome to
use it.

> The SHIFT-click to select all geometries with same plate ID sounds good ?
> although currently SHIFT-click shows properties of selected feature ?
> however what you suggest sounds more useful (and we could eventually add
> more SHIFT-click choices besides ?select all geometries with same plate
> ID?).  For CTRL-click, it might be good to save this for incrementally
> adding a feature to the selection (ie, the user CTRL-clicks multiple
> features to build up selection).

This all sounds good.

> Just to be clear, currently the ?camera location? places moves the
> specified lat/lon to the centre of the viewport (for both the 3D globe view
> and the 2D projection views).

Right now the camera location shifts the 2D geometry.  What I am suggesting
is to substitute the camera location for the " 0, 0" (origin) of the map
projection.

> I guess the ?move geometry? tool sounds similar to the Modify
> Reconstruction Pole tool, except you?re modifying the present-day position
> of a geometry instead of its rotation. That sounds useful.

 Exactly!   It would be nice of the resulting total finite rotation pole
that was used in the transformation was accessible to user (but not
required).