[ASA] Registration open for CSIRO Space & Astronomy Radio Astronomy School 25-29 September 2023

Thyagarajan, Nithyanandan (S&A, Kensington WA) Nithyanandan.Thyagarajan at csiro.au
Wed Jul 26 12:44:45 AEST 2023

Hello all,

Following the preliminary announcement in April, we would like to inform that the much awaited registration is now open for the CSIRO Space & Astronomy Radio Astronomy School to be held in the week of 25-29 September 2023 at the Australia Telescope Compact Array near Narrabri, NSW. The registration form can be accessed at https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/p8YCCxngwOfLrgnZKI8eXJO?domain=forms.office.com. Please read further for more information about the school and registration options. At this stage, no payment is required. We will contact the registrants with payment details at a later stage. Because of limited capacity at the venue for in-person participation, the SOC will consider in-person participation on a first-come-first-served basis, and therefore encourages those interested to submit this form as early as possible. For questions concerning logistics and local organisation such as travel and accommodation, please contact the local organising committee led by Amanda Gray (Amanda.Gray at csiro.au<mailto:Amanda.Gray at csiro.au>) and Jamie Stevens (Jamie.Stevens at csiro.au<mailto:Jamie.Stevens at csiro.au>). For questions pertaining to the scientific programme, please contact Nithya (Nithyanandan.Thyagarajan at csiro.au<mailto:Nithyanandan.Thyagarajan at csiro.au>) or Phil Edwards (Philip.Edwards at csiro.au<mailto:Philip.Edwards at csiro.au>). Please feel free to forward this to anyone that you know might be interested. Please keep checking the 2023 ATNF radio school webpage (https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/iBTdCyojxQT79QqYEiMX9Mh?domain=atnf.csiro.au) for up-to-date and detailed information.

---------------------------------
CSIRO Space and Astronomy will hold the 2023 ATNF Radio School (https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/iBTdCyojxQT79QqYEiMX9Mh?domain=atnf.csiro.au) in person at the Australia Telescope Compact Array near Narrabri, NSW from Monday 25th to Friday 29th September 2023, with on-line attendance also possible. The format of the school will be similar to previous Radio Schools, with a mix of lectures and practical hands-on sessions. Material will be presented by both radio astronomers and engineers. The lectures will cover both single dish telescopes and interferometers; however, the emphasis of this year's school will be on interferometry. The intended audience is postgraduate students and other interested researchers. No prior experience with radio astronomy is required. Attendees are strongly encouraged to consider attending in person to derive the most benefit of ease of access to and daily interactions with field experts, one-on-one interactions during hands-on tutorials, a guided tour of the telescopes, and building networks through planned social events. Online attendees will have access to a live stream of lectures. Both in-person and online attendees will be provided access to a recording of the lectures (for offline viewing) and a link to the tutorial material (on a best-effort basis).

Registration Options

The registration options are described below. At this stage payment is not required. This is for information and planning purposes only. We will contact registrants separately after the payment form is set up. In-person participation will be confirmed only upon payment by the deadline that will be announced. Due to limited capacity of the venue, registrations for in-person attendance will be considered on a first-come-first-served basis. If you plan to attend the school in person, we strongly recommend that you complete the registration form at the earliest. Late registrants for in-person attendance will be placed on a waitlist who will be contacted depending on whether spots open up due to cancellations or non-payments.

In-person (standard): $360

Includes: In-person lectures, hands-on tutorials, access to field experts, a tour of the Australia Telescope Compact Array, daily lunches and refreshments during mid-session breaks, welcome reception/dinner (25/09/2023), workshop dinner (27/09/2023), a trip to Sawn Rocks (29/09/2023), daily round trip bus transport between hotel and venue. Slides and recordings of lectures will be made available for offline viewing afterwards. A link tutorial material will be made available afterwards on a best-effort basis.

Excludes: Travel, accommodation, and dining (except above).

In-person (student): $300

Eligibility applies to students.

Same inclusions and exclusions apply as in-person (standard) registration.

In-person (special funding request): To be determined*

In the special circumstance that you are underfunded and cannot afford the in-person registration fees, the SOC can consider providing a discounted rate but is not guaranteed due to limited funding available. You will need to justify your request via a separate email to the SOC (Nithyanandan.Thyagarajan at csiro.au).

* The SOC will decide the fee amount on a case-by-case basis. You must still complete the registration process using this form to not risk losing your place in the queue. You may still be subject to payment at a later stage to be able to attend in person. We ask for your careful consideration before making this request so that we are able to support the most deserving candidates to the maximum extent possible.

Same inclusions and exclusions apply as in-person (standard) registration.

Online: Free

Excludes: Tutorials, access to field experts, a tour of the Compact Array Telescope, daily lunches and refreshments during mid-session breaks, welcome reception/dinner, workshop dinner, a trip to Sawn Rocks, daily round trip bus transport between hotel and venue, travel, accommodation, and dining.

Includes: Online lectures. Slides and recordings of lectures will be made available for offline viewing afterwards. A link to the tutorial material will be made available afterwards on a best-effort basis.
---------------------------------

We look forward to seeing you at the radio school.

Best regards,
Nithya (on behalf of the SOC)

-------------
Dr Nithyanandan Thyagarajan (PhD)
Senior Research Scientist (Observational Radio Astronomy)
Space and Astronomy  | CSIRO
E Nithyanandan.Thyagarajan at csiro.au<mailto:Nithyanandan.Thyagarajan at csiro.au>  |  T +61 8 6436 8626
W https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/cb5iCzvkyVCGJyQKvSgMW2m?domain=people.csiro.au
ARRC Building (Technology Park), 26 Dick Perry Avenue, Kensington WA 6151, Australia
PO Box 1130, Bentley WA 6102, Australia

CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and we pay our respects to their Elders past and present.

Please note that this is a preliminary announcement of the CSIRO Space & Astronomy Radio Astronomy School to be held in the week of 25-29 September 2023 at the Australia Telescope Compact Array near Narrabri, NSW. The intended audience is postgraduate students and other interested researchers. No prior experience with radio astronomy is required.

Further details on format, venue, and other logistics including key dates will follow in due time. We strongly encourage you to save these dates in your calendar. Please forward this to anyone that you know might be interested.

Best regards,
Nithya (on behalf of the SOC)