[ASA] Scientific Computing and Software Development Services - Call for Expressions of Interest

Amr Hassan ahassan at swin.edu.au
Wed Apr 19 10:02:53 AEST 2017

Astronomy Data and Computing Services (ADACS)

Call for Expressions of Interest for

Scientific Computing and Software Development Services

Astronomy Data and Computing Services (ADACS) is a new initiative by Astronomy Australia Limited (AAL) aiming to provide astronomy-focused training, support and expertise to allow Australian astronomers to maximise the scientific return from their data and computing infrastructure.

A principle component of this initiative is the provision of expertise for the design and development of software tools and infrastructure.  In addition to providing resources and support for our major data platforms (e.g. the All-Sky Virtual Observatory project, and the gSTAR data management and collaboration platform), ADACS will provide support to other small-to-intermediate scale tools/platforms by introducing scientific computing and software development as a service.  Within Q3/4 2017, ADACS will provide the equivalent of 1 full time computational scientist as a resource to the community.  A diversely qualified team will participate, with expertise covering a variety of areas including (but not limited to): system analysis and design, scientific computing, high performance computing, data science, web development, large scale scientific databases, cloud computing, and scientific visualization.

The allocation of these resources will be merit-based with the final evaluation to be performed by the Astronomy Supercomputing Time Allocation Committee (ASTAC).

To prepare the community for effective proposals, we have split the application process into two stages: an expressions of interest (EoI) stage where we ask interested parties to submit a one-page proposal outlining their scientific objectives, to which we will provide detailed feedback regarding feasibility, optimal approaches and required resources; and a subsequent round of formal submissions -- shaped by our input -- to be made to ASTAC.

We ask that EoI submissions be kept to one page and provide the following:

- a concise description of the proposed project;

- expected benefits of the final software product;

- if possible, an initial estimate of the required resources.

When considering projects for this process, we also ask that you keep the following in mind: all ADACS development will be open-source, and as such, made publicly available.

Inquires can be directed to Greg Poole (gpoole at swin.edu.au<mailto:gpoole at swin.edu.au>) or Amr Hassan (ahassan at swin.edu.au<mailto:ahassan at swin.edu.au>).

The deadline for EoI submissions will be: 12th May 2017, 5pm AEST and should be submitted via email to TAC at adacs.org.au<mailto:TAC at adacs.org.au>.

The review of applications will proceed on a first-come-first-served basis and we welcome submissions any time from now until the deadline. Processing will commence immediately upon receipt.

An introductory webinar providing a forum for the community to ask questions and seek further guidance will be hosted at a time TBD.  Please register interest here: https://ahassan.typeform.com/to/OvWJG4.

Best Regards,
Dr. Amr H. Hassan
Service Delivery Manager (Acting)
Astronomy Data and Computing Services
Swinburne University of Technology
H29, PO Box 218, Hawthorn, VIC 3122, Australia
Phone: +61-3-9214-8546
http://www.adacs.org.au