[ASA] Pleiades Awards Outcomes

Sarah Brough s.brough at unsw.edu.au
Thu Mar 16 14:37:00 AEDT 2017

Dear All,

The ASA Inclusion, Diversity and Equity in Astronomy (IDEA) Chapter is proud to announce the recipients of the 2016 Pleiades Awards.

The Pleiades Awards recognise organisations that demonstrate a strong commitment to the aims of the Chapter and take active steps to advance the careers of women through focused programs.

We are very proud to announce our first Gold Pleiades award winner this year.  We were particularly keen to see any Gold Pleiades awardees visibly leading by example in the astronomy and broader science communities and our award winners have certainly achieved that.

The Silver Pleiades awardees have surveyed their staff and students to understand their working climate, communicated the results of the survey to staff/students, and have prepared plans to respond to both positive and negative replies.

Our Bronze Pleiades awardees have all set up a diversity committee to take a close look at how to better encourage diversity and have begun implementing targeted strategies.

The 2016 recipients are:

Gold Pleiades

* ARC Centre of Excellence for All-sky Astrophysics (CAASTRO)

Silver Pleiades

* Australian Astronomical Observatory
* ICRAR - University of Western Australia
* Swinburne University - Centre for Astrophysics and Supercomputing
* University of Sydney - School of Physics and Sydney Institute for Astronomy

Bronze Pleiades

* Astronomy Australia Ltd.
* Australian National University - Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics
* ICRAR - Curtin University
* Macquarie University - Department of Physics and Astronomy
* University of Auckland - Department of Physics
* University of Melbourne - Astrophysics Group, School of Physics
* University of Queensland - School of Mathematics and Physics

Full details of the awards are available here:https://asa-idea.org/the-pleiades-awards/. Awardees are encouraged to celebrate their success and share their winning ideas throughout their organisations as well as with the broader scientific community.

Regards,

Sarah Brough
Chair, ASA IDEA Chapter on behalf of the Pleiades judging panel:

Fiona Audcent-Ross
Kate Brooks
JJ Eldridge
Katie Mack