[ASA] Notice to ASA members regarding travel to the US

Virginia Kilborn vkilborn at swin.edu.au
Thu Feb 16 11:18:15 AEDT 2017

Dear ASA members:

The Astronomical Society of Australia vigorously objects to the US travel ban that was recently imposed by the Trump Administration. Even though major parts of the travel ban are currently blocked there is a high level of uncertainty for many traveling to the US. Along with other scientific organisations including Science and Technology Australia and the International Astronomical Union, we believe the far-reaching ban, and the uncertainty that has ensured since with ongoing legal action, is harmful to our colleagues, to the scientific community as a whole, and to scientific progress.

The ASA strives to be a supportive and inclusive organisation, which does not discriminate on the basis of gender, ethnicity, age, political views or religion. We are still assessing the impact of the ban on our community and how best to support ASA members. This being the case, ASA members who have been impacted by the ban are invited to contact the ASA president (vkilborn at swin.edu.au) so we can evaluate the extent of any effects on members and provide help where we can. We urge members to keep an eye on any current travel restrictions through their home institutes and travel agents, as circumstances may change at short notice.

Virginia Kilborn,

on behalf of the ASA council.

Prof. Virginia Kilborn
Chair, Department of Physics and Astronomy
Centre for Astrophysics & Supercomputing
Faculty of Science, Engineering and Technology
Swinburne University of Technology
Ph (w) +61 (0)3 9214 4380
WWW: http://bit.ly/24vsqSR