[ASA] CASS letter to ASA members

Douglas.Bock at csiro.au Douglas.Bock at csiro.au
Tue Nov 22 12:51:22 AEDT 2016

Dear colleagues,

Like many of you, I listened to the Background Briefing radio program on the ABC over the weekend. The story reported on allegations of misconduct in CASS and raised examples of bullying, sexual harassment, and sexual assault. I want to reiterate that none of these incidents is acceptable.

I acknowledge the pain these incidents have caused individuals, and the impact on their careers, and I am sincerely sorry that this has occurred.

As the incoming Director of CASS, I recognise that procedures and training are not sufficient safeguards alone, and I want to outline the steps we are taking to change culture and ensure that CASS is a safe and productive place to work. I also want to set out the facts to you, to the extent that I can without in any way diminishing the actions themselves, or their impact on those affected.

We advised Background Briefing that there were 16 allegations of misconduct over eight years within the astronomy programs of CSIRO (around 200 staff, plus students). Thirteen of the allegations were of a non-sexual nature and were dealt with in accordance with established procedures based on the information provided at the time.

Three other allegations between 2007 and 2012 of inappropriate workplace behaviour, including sexual harassment, were investigated by CSIRO-appointed independent investigators. In all cases, CASS accepted the recommendations of the investigator. In two of the three cases, the allegations were found to be proven. CSIRO has statutory obligations under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and I cannot, therefore, comment further on specific cases.

Notwithstanding the above, new procedures were introduced following the 2014 inquiry into workplace bullying and harassment in CSIRO conducted by Professor Dennis Pearce.

Improvements so far include compulsory code of conduct training for all staff and affiliates, additional confidential avenues for staff to raise issues without having to involve line management, and a clear statement that staff are obliged to report any issues they are aware of, even if they are themselves not involved. It is the responsibility of everyone to report concerns whenever and wherever they occur. Avenues include contacting me, CASS human resources and diversity officers, any senior executive or trusted colleague, or via the Public Interest Disclosure scheme (conductcomplaints at csiro.au).

I would like particularly to commend the work of our CASS Diversity Committee over the past three years. The Committee has worked very hard to lead a range of initiatives to improve diversity and culture within CASS, including introducing a code of conduct for conferences and organising an anonymous all-staff culture survey to help guide our initiatives.

In the coming weeks and months, I will:

  *   Implement an externally facilitated program to help build a positive, supportive and safe culture within CASS, and help staff to set appropriate boundaries between work and personal lives
  *   Enhance our existing program to train and support staff in CSIRO’s code of conduct, ensure all staff and affiliates understand what behaviour is expected of them, and how to safely report behaviours that are not aligned to this code
  *   Support our staff and include them as we make decisions on how to improve our workplace
  *   Expect our leaders to model exemplary workplace behaviours
  *   Encourage all staff and collaborators to raise concerns at the time they occur
  *   Continue to follow established procedures where allegations of inappropriate behaviour are raised, ensuring natural justice and procedural fairness to all parties
  *   Report on the progress CASS is making in improving our responses and the outcomes to such issues.

I will seek to meet with many of you in the Astronomy community between now and the end of December to gain your input into how we address the culture and ensure that CASS is a safe place for students, staff and visitors to work.

I remain personally committed to providing a safe, diverse and productive workplace.

Regards,

Douglas

Douglas Bock

Director