[ASA] ASA statement to the community

Virginia Kilborn vkilborn at swin.edu.au
Mon Nov 21 17:07:08 AEDT 2016

The Astronomical Society of Australia (ASA) Council is concerned by the findings of misconduct at CSIRO's Astronomy and Space Sciences (CASS) Division, including bullying, sexual harassment and an allegation of sexual assault.

First and foremost, we offer our sympathies and support to staff and students who have been the victims of this behaviour. The negative impact on their lives has been far reaching. We take this opportunity to reaffirm our Society's strong commitment to ensuring safe workplaces and ethical behaviour for our members.

Australia is a world leader in radio astronomy - both in instrument development, and scientifically. CASS is a hub of Australian radio astronomy: astronomers and their students regularly visit CASS, to use the national facilities and work with staff. Prior to the revelations on Background Briefing, the astronomical community could not have been aware of instances of bullying, harassment and sexual assault - and it is a wider practice in academia to keep such instances confidential. As such, astronomers are unable to judge potential risks to themselves and their students when visiting CASS, or similar facilities.

The misconduct at CSIRO is part of a broader problem that has been identified within the science community, within Australia and internationally. The ASA has implemented initiatives of the ASA's Inclusion, Diversity and Equity in Astronomy (IDEA) Chapter including a code of conduct for behaviour at ASA events, and all ASA members must also abide by the ASA's Code of Ethics. However, it is vital that individual institutions ensure a safe and supportive workplace for all their staff, students and visitors.

This incident serves as a wake-up call to all Australian scientific departments and institutes to critically assess their workplace conditions. We also recommend that departments take time to reflect after reports of professional misconduct to ensure that the actions followed led to the safest outcomes for victims.

Virginia Kilborn

ASA president, on behalf of ASA council.

Virginia Kilborn
Chair, Department of Physics and Astronomy
Centre for Astrophysics & Supercomputing
Faculty of Science, Engineering and Technology
Swinburne University of Technology
Ph (w) +61 (0)3 9214 4380
WWW: http://bit.ly/24vsqSR