[ASA] PhD Scholarships in Astrophysics (USQ)

Brad Carter carterb.usq at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 16:12:52 AEST 2016

PhD Scholarships in Astrophysics
University of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba or Springfield, Queensland, Australia
Applications for 2017 are open until Monday 31st October 2016

The University of Southern Queensland (USQ) welcomes PhD scholarship applications from Australian and international students to work with us in the Astrophysics Group, a dynamic and friendly team within USQ’s Computational Engineering and Science Research Centre.

Our activities are aligned with global efforts to understand the formation, evolution and habitability of planetary systems, and our collaborative approach enables our eight research-active staff and an international network of adjuncts and over twenty research students to work with leading research institutions worldwide.

Our research blends observational and computational studies to discover and characterise exoplanets, to better understand the formation and evolution of our Solar system, and study the interaction between young, active stars and their planetary systems. We are also a partner in the Australian Desert Fireball Network, and are in the process of deploying a network of cameras throughout Southern Queensland to detect and recover meteorite falls.

USQ operates Mt Kent Observatory outside Toowoomba, a dark-sky site with multiple modern remote-access telescopes, high speed Internet access, and where we are constructing a dedicated leading-edge planet finding facility called MINERVA-Australis, scheduled to be operational from November 2017 to provide dedicated follow-up to NASA's TESS mission. Staff and students also access major Australian and international observatories for their research, and extensive eResearch facilities are provided, including two local High Performance Computing clusters as well as assisted access to national computing infrastructure.  Funds for travel, computing, publishing and other relevant needs are available, opportunities exist for income supplementation via casual teaching duties, and scholarship students are supported through a range of leave entitlements and other benefits.

PhD scholarships are available for domestic (Australian citizen or permanent resident, or New Zealand citizens) and international students. Domestic students are typically allocated a Research Training Scheme (RTS) place that covers the payment of tuition fees. In addition domestic scholarship students will receive a living allowance of AUD$30,000 per annum. International scholarship students will have their tuition fees paid for by USQ for a period of 3 years, and receive a living allowance ranging from AUD$20,000 to AUD$30,000 per annum. Research student professional development is strongly supported through USQ’s ReDTrain program, and an active role in the professional support and development offered by the Astronomical Society of Australia is encouraged and assisted.

USQ offers a choice of two locations for prospective students. The clean, green, and affordable regional city of Toowoomba lies some 90 minutes drive from Brisbane, and offers direct flights to Sydney and Melbourne, as well as a relaxed atmosphere. USQ's new Springfield campus offers a newly developed suburban setting less than 40 minutes by train from central Brisbane and with excellent road access to the Gold and Sunshine Coasts.

For more information please visit our website http://astrophysics.usq.edu.au <http://astrophysics.usq.edu.au/> and contact us:

Jonti Horner (Toowoomba campus) Jonathan.Horner at usq.edu.au <mailto:%20Jonathan.Horner at usq.edu.au>
Brad Carter (Springfield campus)  Brad.Carter at usq.edu.au <mailto:Brad.Carter at usq.edu.au>