[ASA] ASA Time Capsule: Survey, items and images

John O'Byrne john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au
Thu Jul 14 08:39:17 AEST 2016

Dear members of the ASA,

This is an email just to cover a few last things for the 50th anniversary ASA time capsule that you can contribute to, before the capsule contents are completely finalised.

1) Firstly, we have been conducting a short fun survey of astronomers attending asking you to weigh in on questions such as "What do you think will be the most significant astronomical discovery in the next 50 years?". You can fill in the survey here:

http://tinyurl.com/2016asa

I will close the survey at the end of this week (11.59pm Friday 15th July) so if you haven’t contributed your thoughts yet and would like to, please do so before then!

2) If you submitted an item for the time capsule but haven't delivered it to me, please get in contact to sort this out ASAP if you haven't already. Any items not received by the time we need to close the capsule properly will not be included. You also must fill out a description for each item online here:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScy9WJ3spc7oM9_MHFey-ygWa1ottUcBBlZkoFwTn4GuGhR4A/viewform#responses

Items without descriptions may also not be included so please do this ASAP or get in contact with me if you have questions about the manifest descriptions.

3) If you have any nice images of astronomical facilities, we'd like to include a selection of these in the capsule to represent what astronomy infrastructure looked like in 2016. We also welcome historical images of the ASA or community over the years. You can upload images for possible selection here:
https://www.dropbox.com/request/wlHNqePKbVpnEU9Mt67q

Participation in all of the above is optional (except if you need to submit a description!), but it would be great to get as many responses and as much input as possible so that we can accurately reflect the current astronomical community here in Australia.

Any questions or comments about the time capsule can be sent to asatimecapsule at gmail.com<mailto:asatimecapsule at gmail.com>, so please feel free to get in contact!

Thanks,
Vanessa
on behalf of the Time Capsule Committee
asatimecapsule at gmail.com<mailto:asatimecapsule at gmail.com>

—————————————————————————
"The standard you walk past is the standard you accept”
—————————————————————————

ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR JOHN O’BYRNE
Associate Head (Teaching & Learning), School of Physics
Associate Dean (Learning & Teaching), Faculty of Science
Secretary, Astronomical Society of Australia Inc.

Sydney Institute for Astronomy
School of Physics | Faculty of Science

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Rm 205, Physics Building A28
Postal address: School of Physics | The University of Sydney | NSW | Australia | 2006
T +61 2 9351 3184  | F +61 2 9351 7726
E john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au<mailto:john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au>  | W  http://sydney.edu.au/science/people/john.obyrne

CRICOS 00026A
This email plus any attachments to it are confidential. Any unauthorised use is strictly prohibited.
If you receive this email in error, please delete it and any attachments.