[ASA] 3rd announcement: The 2016 Annual Scientific Meeting of the Astronomical Society of Australia, 3-8 July 2016, The University of Sydney

Krzysztof Bolejko bolejko at physics.usyd.edu.au
Mon Jun 20 10:11:48 AEST 2016

Dear Colleagues,

This is the 3rd and last announcement of the 2016 ASA Meeting.
This year marks the 50th anniversary of the Astronomical Society of
Australia. It is a very special occasion and we would like to invite you
all to come and celebrate this event with us so if you have not registered
yet please do so by 21st of June.

Apart from this incredible opportunity to find out what other fellow
astronomers do and what is the state of Australian astronomy you will also
be able to learn more about the history of our Society, get a personal
advice and assistance on HPC facilities, contribute to the Time Capsule
which will be sealed for the next 50 years, and meet the chief scientist of
Australia Alan Finkel.

*Welcome Reception*The Opening Reception will be held at Sydney Observatory
on the 3rd of July.
Sydney Observatory played an important role in the formation of the
Astronomical Society of Australia. Harley Wood who was the director of
Sydney Observatory from 1943 to 1974 was also the first President of the
ASA. The Reception will feature a very special guest the Chief Scientist Dr
Alan Finkel.
The theme for the evening is “Astronomy”, we encourage you to dress
accordingly.

*HPC Support Room*We will offer the High-Performance Computing (HPC)
Support Room that will operate alongside the main program for part of the
week. This will be staffed by HPC experts from NCRIS-funded national
facilities such as NCI, Pawsey and Swinburne as well as the NeCTAR-funded
All-Sky Virtual Observatory (ASVO). The service will allow ASA2016
attendees to drop-in and ask for advice/help on a range of HPC-related
matters.

*Conference Dinner*The Conference dinner will be held on the Thursday 7th
July 2016 at Sydney’s Doltone House, Pyrmont.  A spectacular waterfront
venue on the foreshore of Sydney Harbour, with views of the iconic Sydney
Harbour Bridge and the magical city skyline.  This is a wonderful
opportunity to experience Sydney at night and party the night away with our
fun 60’s theme. At the dinner we will seal the Time Capsule which will
remain closed till 2066, the 100th anniversary of the Astronomical Society
of Australia.

For additional information please visit our website www.asa2016.org or
email the Local Organising Committee at info at asa2016.org, and follow us on
Twitter @the2016asa to stay tuned for further announcements.

*The deadline for registration is this Tuesday 21st of June *so if you have
not registered yet please head to www.asa2016.org finalise your
registration and don't miss out on this incredible event.
If you cannot register by then, but still are planning to attend the
Meeting (or part thereof) please contact the LOC at info at asa2016.org.

Hope to see you all in Sydney in just 2 weeks!

Best wishes,
Krzysztof Bolejko, on behalf of the LOC