[ASA] Diversity in Astronomy workshop 2nd announcement

Jacinta Lee Den Besten jacinta.den at unimelb.edu.au
Tue May 10 09:46:16 AEST 2016

On behalf of the Organising Committee we would like to make the 2nd announcement for the Diversity in Astronomy workshop at the University of Melbourne.

This year, the Women in Astronomy Chapter has become the Inclusion, Diversity, Equity in Astronomy (IDEA) Chapter and will start to address broader diversity issues in our community. So we are pleased to bring to you the first Diversity in Astronomy workshop that will continue to build upon previous workshops and broaden the idea of diversity in Astronomy and the actions we can take.

This 2-day workshop (28-29 June 2016) will be held by the School of Physics at the University of Melbourne and will focus on the topics of unconscious bias, institutional change, diversity via gender, cultural and sexual identity and mindfulness.  We hope the entire workshop will be of interest to astronomers of all diversity groups, and we encourage community members from all genders to attend. Over the two days there will be both presentations as well as workshop sessions.

Guest Speakers include;

Prof Doug Hilton, Director of WEHI

Prof Sharon Bell, Chair of Women in STEMM Australia

Dr Michelle Gallaher, co-founder of The Social Science and Women In STEMM Australia

Dr JJ Eldrige, University of Auckland

Registration is now open.<https://astrodiversity16.wordpress.com/registration/> The workshop is free to attend, however we request that you register for catering purposes.  There will be a conference dinner (self-funded) held Tuesday evening on 28 June and a public lecture  and cocktail reception Monday evening on the 27 June 2016.

Registration closes June 10

Child care and travel grants for students are available, and can be requested on the registration page.

The LOC can be contacted at astrodiversity2016 at gmail.com<mailto:astrodiversity2016 at gmail.com>

Full details can be found at https://astrodiversity16.wordpress.com<https://astrodiversity16.wordpress.com/>

 Please distribute amongst interested colleagues.

on behalf of

Diversity in Astronomy Workshop Committee