[ASA] Expressions of Interest for Science meets Parliament 2016

Virginia Kilborn vkilborn at swin.edu.au
Wed Jan 13 16:06:12 AEDT 2016

Dear ASA members,

Each year, the ASA has the opportunity to send 2 members to the Science &Technology Australia "Science meets Parliament" event in Canberra. This year the event will be held on 1-2 March. Science meets Parliament "aims to help participants understand how politics, policymaking and the media work, and gives them an opportunity to look at their science from a different perspective" - see here for more details: http://scienceandtechnologyaustralia.org.au/focus-on/science-meets-parliament-2016/

We now open the call for EoI's to attend this year's meeting. If you are interested, please email myself before January 31st, with a short explanation for why you'd like to attend. Delegates will be selected by the ASA council, and we encourage applications from diverse backgrounds, and particularly would like to send at least 1 ECR to the event this year. ASA will provide reasonable financial assistance to the selected ASA delegates to enable them to attend the event.

The ASA will also provide some guidelines on what to expect from the meeting, and asks delegates to write a short report on their activities for council. See the following for more information from the ASA: http://asa.astronomy.org.au/smp.html

This is a great opportunity and I look forward to receiving your EoI.

Kind regards,

Virginia
President, ASA

--
Associate Professor Virginia Kilborn
Chair, Department of Physics and Astronomy