[ASA] SKA Update - November SKAO Board meeting [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Luchetti, David David.Luchetti at industry.gov.au
Fri Dec 4 11:58:56 AEDT 2015

Dear ASA Members,

As part of our commitment to keeping you informed, I am pleased to provide this short update on the outcomes of the November SKA Organisation (SKAO) Board meeting at the SKAO's Jodrell Bank headquarters in Manchester, UK.

All SKA member countries were represented and France, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Malta and the European Southern Observatory also attended the meeting as observers. Membership of the SKA looks set to grow with several countries expressing interest in joining the project.

The meeting approved the budget for 2016; the draft outline of the observatory operations model; the revised terms of reference for the Science and Engineering Advisory Committee; the power strategy; and performance review processes for senior executive staff.

Progress and information reports included telescope design; progress on the intergovernmental treaty (Convention) negotiations; a revised advanced instrumentation development program; and lessons learned from the project design review process. Overall, the project appears to be making good technical progress.

In SKA news closer to home, you may have seen the Western Australian Government has approved a power supply agreement for the MRO between Horizon Power and CSIRO - more details are available in Premier Barnett's media release<https://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.au/Pages/Barnett/2015/11/Sun-shines-over-star-gazing-station.aspx>.

I continue to be pleased with the progress to date and am looking forward to further engagement with governments and stakeholder groups as the policy, design and operational elements of the project come together.  Please contact me on David.Luchetti at industry.gov.au<mailto:David.Luchetti at industry.gov.au> if you have any queries about the content in this summary.

Kind regards
David

David Luchetti
Australian SKA Project Director
Australian Square Kilometre Array Office
Department of Industry, Innovation and Science
Level 9, 10 Binara Street, Canberra City ACT 2601
GPO Box 9839, Canberra ACT 2601
Ph: +61-2-6213 6068  Mob: +61 411 021 135
Email:  david.luchetti at industry.gov.au<mailto:david.luchetti at industry.gov.au>
Internet: www.ska.gov.au<http://www.ska.gov.au/>
[http://www.ska.gov.au/sitecollectionimages/logo-auska.gif]