[ASA] Second Announcement: Quantum Astronomy and Stellar Imaging - Sydney August 2015

John O'Byrne john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au
Fri Jun 12 15:33:28 AEST 2015

Dear ASA Colleagues

I am writing with the second announcement and invitatation to "Quantum Astronomy and Stellar Imaging", a conference sponsored by the Australian Academy of Science in Sydney 17th - 19th of August 2015 .

The official conference website is: http://www.quantumastro2015.org/

Here you will be able to register (the meeting does not have a registration fee), view details of the program and submit your abstract. Normal registration will close on the 1st of July.

Although the meeting will have no written proceedings, we do have an arrangement with the editors of a special issue of Advances in Astronomy (a peer-reviewed, open access journal). This special issue will be entitled "Intensity Interferometry for High Resolution Observations in Astronomy". Submissions to this special edition have been held until a deadline of August 21 and we strongly encourage participants to consider writing up their conference material for this journal. The editors will take a broad interpretation of the topic for the special issue, and a wide selection of the topics at this meeting would be welcomed by the journal.

The meeting itself has no registration fee, and we are planning a vibrant calendar of free social events in spectacular venues around Sydney.
More inforation at the official conference website.

See you in Sydney in August to celebrate a milestone in Australian Physics and Astronomy!

Thanks and best wishes
Prof Peter Tuthill

                Quantum Astronomy and Stellar Imaging:
Celebrating the 50th birthday of the Narrabri Stellar Intensity Interferometer

(An Australian Academy of Science Elizabeth and Frederick White Confrence)

The profound impact of the Narrabri Stellar Intensity Interferometer is very much alive today:
it is regarded as the foundational experiment from which the field of Quantum Optics germinated,
while its legacy pervades all coherent-light astronomy. This meeting will look to the future
and ask the question, what are the breakthroughs in optical physics which will empower tomorrow's
visionary astronomical instruments?  We have barely begun to explore the myriad possibilities
enabled by a sophisticated approach to coherence in optical astronomy. Areas of opportunity
include the full exploitation of photonic technologies, emergent themes within Quantum Astronomy
and the coming generation of ELTs and optical long-baseline interferometers. This meeting will
have a particular emphasis on coherent-light astronomy and high angular resolution imaging,
with the aim to crystallize community ideas around next generation devices such as the Planet
Formation Imager, a bold new initiative intended to reveal the cradles of birth for exoplanets.