[ASA] Announcement of 2015 ASA Prize Winners

Andrew Hopkins andrew.hopkins at aao.gov.au
Fri May 29 14:12:37 AEST 2015

Dear ASA members,

The ASA is pleased to announce the recipients of the 2015 ASA Awards.
The prize winners
will be presenting their research at the ASA Scientific Meeting, 5-10
July, at the Esplanade
Hotel, Fremantle, hosted by ICRAR/Curtin University. http://www.asa2015.org/

*Bok Prize for outstanding research in astronomy by an Honours or
eligible Masters student*
Awarded to Shyeh Tjing (Cleo) Loi for her thesis "Waves in the Sky:
Probing the Ionosphere with
the Murchison Widefield Array". Cleo completed her Honours research at
the University of
Sydney, supervised by Tara Murphy.

In addition, Sarah Leslie receives an honourable mentioned for her
thesis "A Radio-Optical
Study of Resolved Star-Formation in Galaxies from the SAMI Galaxy
Survey" completed at the
ANU and supervised by Lisa Kewley, Elaine Sadler (USyd) and Julia Bryant
(USyd).

*Charlene Heisler Prize for the most outstanding PhD thesis in astronomy*
Awarded to Morag Scrimgeour for her thesis “Cosmology with Large-scale
Structure and Galaxy Flows”
completed at the University of Western Australia and supervised by
Lister Staveley-Smith and Tamara Davis (UQ).

In addition, GeorgeAngelou receives an honourable mention for his thesis
“On the role of doubly-diffusive
mixing in low-mass red giant branch stars” completed at Monash
University and supervised by John Lattanzio.

*Louise Webster Prize for outstanding research by a scientist early in
their post-doctoral career*
Awarded to Dr Madusha Gunawardhana from the AAO for the paper ‘Galaxy
and Mass Assembly
(GAMA): the star formation rate dependence of the stellar initial mass
function’ published in
MNRAS (2011) 415, 167.

Congratulations to all our prize winners and nominees.
The entries received for the prizes were, once again, of a very high
standard and a credit to their
institutions. It shows that there is great breadth and strength in
Australian astronomy.

Many thanks to all our judges for devoting a considerable amount of
their time to reading all of the
entries and my very special thanks to our ASA Prizes and
Awards Coordinator Tanya Hill for making
this process run smoothly every year.

Andrew Hopkins
President, ASA

--
Prof. Andrew Hopkins, Head of Research and Outreach
Australian Astronomical Observatory