[ASA] Announcement - Women in Astronomy Workshop, 22-23 July 2015, Women's College University of Queensland

Kylie Williams k.williams at physics.usyd.edu.au
Thu May 14 10:01:53 AEST 2015

ASA WOMEN IN ASTRONOMY WORKSHOP 2015

INSPIRING DIVERSITY

22-23 JULY 2015

WOMEN’S COLLEGE UNIVERSITY OF QUEENSLAND

 <http://www.caastro.org/event/2015-wia2015>
http://www.caastro.org/event/2015-wia2015

The fifth ASA Women in Astronomy workshop will be held 22-23 July 2015 at
the Women’s College University of Queensland.  This two-day workshop will
focus on the topics of unconscious bias, dealing with conflict, presenting
your voice and the challenges faced by indigenous groups, and the impact of
mental health in academia.  This year we have expanded the scope to cover a
broad range of topics reflecting the challenges facing our community.  We
hope the entire workshop will be of interest to both female and male
astronomers, and we encourage community members from both genders to attend.
The two days will consist of a mixture of invited talks, including Professor
Meg Urry and Professor Judy Raper, as well as interactive sessions on
Critical Conversations and Presenting your Voice.

REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN –
<http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/sifa/caastro/register/index.php?action=regis
ter&workshopId=82> Register here

The registration for the workshop is free.  However registrations in advance
are greatly appreciated to ensure the workshop is appropriately catered.
There will be a conference dinner held the evening of 22 July at the Women's
College.  This dinner is optional and self-funded.  The cost of the dinner
is $55.00.

Travel Assistance

Travel assistance will be available for participants up to attend the
conference.  20 grants will be available with a value up to $500 depending
on circumstances.  To be considered for travel support please complete the
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1oSmnddgIEVH92-okGIFOxowJMHMGK3aMRRxb22yRZk
c/viewform?usp=send_form> application prior to 30 June 2015 and we will
notify you of the outcome on 3 July 2015.

Please circulate this email throughout your department, and encourage all
students, postdocs and colleagues to attend. The workshop poster can be
found here <<insert link>>

Childcare

Childcare will be available for infants and pre-schoolers (0-5 years) in a
mini-crèche with an experienced childcare worker.  Older children are most
welcome to attend the sessions, however please ensure they have a quiet
activity to keep them occupied.

Accommodation

We have a limited number of rooms held at the Women's College for delegates.
Rooms range in price from $80 with share facilities to $99 with an ensuite.
Men are welcome to stay at the Women’s College.  For more information please
contact Kylie Williams.  To book this accommodation please use the
<http://www.caastro.org/files/29/1358541587/wia-womens-college-accommodation
-booking-form.docx> Women's College Booking Form.

Some other local hotels in Brisbane are:

*	Benson Court <http://www.bensoncourt.com.au/>
*	The Jephson <http://www.jephsonhotel.com.au/>
*	Rydges South Bank
<http://www.rydges.com/accommodation/brisbane-qld/brisbane-south-bank/welcom
e/>
*	Hotel Mecure
<http://www.mercure.com/gb/hotel-1750-mercure-brisbane/index.shtml>

Local Organising Committee

*	Kate Brooks, CSIRO
*	Sarah Brough, AAO
*	Tamara Davis, UQ, Co-Chair
*	Kate Gunn, CAASTRO Co-Chair
*	Lisa Harvey-Smith, CSIRO
*	Jonathan Horner, USQ
*	Sarah Pearce, CSIRO
*	Aaron Robotham, ICRAR
*	Kylie Williams, CAASTRO

KYLIE WILLIAMS | Events and Communications

CAASTRO | School of Physics  | Faculty of Science |

ARC Centre of Excellence for All-sky Astrophysics

Rm 217 Building H90 | 44-70 Rosehill Street, Redfern | NSW |2016|

The University of Sydney | NSW | 2006

T +61 2 9114 2183  | F +61 2 9114 2195| M +61 478 404 619

Email  <mailto:k.williams at physics.usyd.edu.au>
k.williams at physics.usyd.edu.au  W  http://  <http://www.caastro.org/>
www.caastro.org

Please note: I am in the office Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday