[ASA] Postdoctoral opportunities at Swinburne

Karl Glazebrook kglazebrook at swin.edu.au
Wed Nov 19 11:46:09 AEDT 2014

The following Post-doctoral Research Associate positions are available at Swinburne for 2015, closing soon.

Postdoctoral Researcher in Galaxy Evolution with Dr Barbara Catinella and Dr Luca Cortese.

Two year appointment, deadline Jan 1st

The successful candidate will work on multi-wavelength studies of galaxies, aimed at understanding the
effect of the environment on the cold gas reservoir and star formation activity of group galaxies, using data
from the GASS/COLDGASS surveys and their on-going extensions to low stellar masses.

More information and online application: http://tinyurl.com/kh8sdhj

Postdoctoral Researcher in Galaxy Evolution with Prof. Karl Glazebrook and Dr David Fisher.

19 month appointment, deadline Jan 15th

The appointee will be expected to play a leading role in an international collaboration to study the 'DYNAMO' sample of local star-forming galaxies, selected to have similar star-formation and kinematic properties to galaxies in the early Universe, with the aim of studying the physical relation of kinematics, star-formation. gas density and galaxy morphology at early times. The project will use data from Keck, Gemini, ALMA, and HST for this with much of this data already in hand (including HST). The appointee will also have the opportunity to pursue a vigorous independent research program and to collaborate on other projects at Swinburne.

More information and online application: http://tinyurl.com/nbg9d3f

Postdoctoral Researcher in Circumgalactic Medium Studies with Dr Glenn Kacprzak.

Two year appointment, deadline Dec 1st

The successful candidate will be a key participant in an international collaboration to study the circumgalactic medium using quasar absorption-line systems. The candidate may select between ongoing programs that are either observationally based, using HST and Keck data, or to peruse the analysis of the CGM using world-leading N-body+hydro simulations (ART).

More information and application instructions: http://tinyurl.com/k9e6lkx

The appointees will join one of Australia's most active astronomy departments. Swinburne astronomers regularly obtain international observing time on the AAT, Gemini, HST, Magellan, ATCA and Parkes telescopes. We have institutional access to the W.M. Keck telescopes in Hawaii (15-20 nights per year) to which all staff (including PDRAs) are open to apply to via a merit-based TAC. The Centre has GSTAR, the Australian GPU Supercomputer for Theoretical Astrophysics, available in house as well as access to state-of-the-art 3D visualization facilities.

Swinburne values and embraces its diverse work environment. The University is committed to the principles of social justice, equal opportunity and cultural diversity, and seeks to implement these in the conduct of our activities and relationships. Swinburne has been recognized as an Employer of Choice for Women since 2007. As a University, we recognise the need to capitalize and nurture the skills and talents of all segments of our diverse community. Swinburne's culture is characterised by a set of values which inform the way we work together and enable us to deliver outstanding results.  Swinburne encourages applications from Indigenous people, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, people with disabilities, women and men.

Included Benefits:
17% superannuation (pension), standard staff employment benefits including leave entitlements.

Karl Glazebrook
Director & Distinguished Professor
Centre for Astrophysics & Supercomputing, Swinburne University of Technology
Contact: +61-3-9214-4384  kglazebrook at swin.edu.au
astronomy.swin.edu.au/karl galacticturmoil.org @karlglazebrook