[ASA] ASA ECR chapter - mentoring program

John O'Byrne john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au
Mon Oct 27 23:19:33 AEDT 2014

Dear ASA members,

The Early Career Researcher chapter is pleased to invite you to participate in our mentoring program. Mentoring is consistently mentioned as an important ingredient in professional development and career success, and we are hopeful that our mentoring program will provide our ECR members with perspective, advice and connections within the astronomical community.

Here's a quick overview of the program: we are looking for both people to be mentored, and for people to act as mentors as well. There is a quick survey (one for mentors and one for mentees), and based on the survey results we will match mentors and mentees. The pairs will meet two or three times a year (or more if you wish), either in person or over video chat, and those meetings will be strictly confidential. The program is open to students as well as postdocs.

If you want to participate in the program, either as a mentor or as a mentee, please fill out this quick survey, preferably by 31 October:
Mentees: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/asaecrmentees
Mentors: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/asaecrmentors
and we'll make the matches and get the program rolling. Please sign up to join the chapter as well, if you haven’t done so already.

Further information, and links to the slides and summary notes from past ECR workshops, are available on the ECR Chapter web site: http://asaecr.smp.uq.edu.au/mentoring/. Please feel free to send any questions about this program to David Parkinson, d.parkinson at uq.edu.au, or Sarah Martell, s.martell at unsw.edu.au.

All the best,
The ECR Chapter Steering Committee

David Parkinson
Australian Research Council Future Fellow
The University of Queensland
d.parkinson at uq.edu.au