[ASA] Mt Stromlo Student Christmas Seminar - announcement

Ly Duong ly.duong at anu.edu.au
Mon Sep 1 16:50:33 AEST 2014

Announcement about Student Seminar at Mt Stromlo
Please circulate to all honours, PhD students
and interested undergraduates.

*First Announcement:*

*Mount Stromlo Observatory Xmas Student Seminar 2014*

The annual Xmas Student Seminar at Mount Stromlo Observatory is back in
it's 12th incarnation, this year on the 13th and 14th of November.

The seminar is a fantastic opportunity for PhD students at all stages,
from all over the country to showcase their research
and network with their fellow students. The seminar has been very
successful in previous years, and we hope to welcome (and
welcome back) many students this year.

On the first day of the Seminar we have an exciting line-up of invited
speakers, industry talks and public speaking workshops
outlined below. The second day will be dedicated to student talks - and
everyone is encouraged to register a short (12 minutes)
talk about their exciting research.

*Invite**d Speakers*

  * Ron Ekers, ATNF/CSIRO CASS: SKA and the future of radio astronomy.
  * Amanda Karakas, RSAA, ANU: Pathway to a successful career in astronomy.

*Industry Partner***

  * Giant Magellan Telescope: progress updates and instrumentation tour.

*Public speaking **worksho**p*

  * Peter Copeman, U. Canberra: How to pitch your talks to the general
    audience using acting skills.

The registration deadline is:***31st Octo**ber***

For more details and to register please visit the Seminar website:
_http://www.mso.anu.edu.au/xmas14/_

Regards,
The organising committe