[ASA] Future use of UHRF

Gayandhi De Silva Gayandhi.DeSilva at aao.gov.au
Fri Aug 1 10:02:51 AEST 2014

Dear Colleagues,

Recently the AAO discovered that several optical components of the
Ultra-High Resolution Facility (UHRF) spectrograph on the AAT have
deteriorated beyond functionality. It is therefore currently not
available for use. Our assessment of the situation is that a significant
investment in hardware and labour is needed to restore UHRF to
astronomical use.

Our statistics over the last 8 years show that UHRF has been the least
requested instrument out of the facility-class instruments available on
the AAT. Further more, there has been no Australian proposals submitted
for UHRF during this period.

Therefore the AAO is assessing the impact of decommissioning UHRF and
this email is to poll the community as to its need/use of such a
Ultra-High (300K - 1 Million) resolution facility (note functionality of
the UCLES spectrograph is not affected here).

In particular, if you anticipate using UHRF over the next 5 years, we
ask that you respond to Gayandhi De Silva (gayandhi.desilva at aao.gov.au
<mailto:gayandhi.desilva at aao.gov.au>) and indicate:

* What improvements to UHRF would be most useful for your science ?
* If implemented, how many nights do you anticipate requesting over the
next 5 years ?
* What other facilities could you use in the event UHRF is decommissioned ?

Thank you.

Gayandhi De Silva