[ASA] Position papers on International Facilities

Karl Glazebrook kglazebrook at swin.edu.au
Fri Mar 14 12:31:54 AEDT 2014

Dear ASA Members,

As Chair of the Decadal Plan WG 2.1 on International-Scale Facilities I'd like to announce the public availability of 'position papers' highlighting current issues for the community to consider. I'd  also like to request that department heads circulate this email to all members of their departments who may not be ASA members.

These papers have been developed by the WG Exec with extensive input from the full WG and are available at:

https://sites.google.com/site/australiandecadalplanwg21/documents

The papers are intended to be succinct and raise/provoke key points of discussion for the forthcoming Town Hall meetings. They are not intended to be exhaustive discussions/analyses of all possible issues related to international facilities.

I'd urge everyone attending the Town Halls to read these in advance as it is not possible to cover everything in the limited amount of time available for presentations and we prefer to have extended times for discussion.

The Town Halls are in Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra and Perth on Mar 25,26,27 and Apr 3rd respectively shared with WGs 2.* and 3.*. (Detailed at http://australianastronomydecadalplan.org)/. Streaming information will be available shortly.

As well as input at the Town Halls we'd also like to extend an open invitation to community members to send us there own 'white papers' discussing any issues or ideas they have in relation to our WG's remit. These white papers should be emailed to myself by Apr 30th, as PDF documents limited to 5 pages, and will be made public on our web site.

yours sincerely,

Karl

Karl Glazebrook
Director & Distinguished Professor
Centre for Astrophysics & Supercomputing, Swinburne University of Technology
Contact: +61-3-9214-4384  kglazebrook at swin.edu.au
astronomy.swin.edu.au/karl @karlglazebrook