[ASA] Canberra WG3.2 TH announcement

Brad E. Tucker brad.tucker at anu.edu.au
Wed Mar 12 09:46:06 AEDT 2014

The third Town Hall meeting of Working Group 3.2 will be held at the Mt. Stromlo Observatory, ANU from 2-4pm on Tuesday, the 18th of March.

The meeting will take place in the Duffield Lecture Theatre.  Video conferencing facilities will be available.  If you plan to attend the meeting can you please RSVP to Brad Tucker (brad at mso.anu.edu.au<mailto:brad at mso.anu.edu.au>) stating whether you will be present in person or on-line/video.

Working Group 3.2 is concerned with Education, Outreach and Careers - key aspects of our science that engage a wide range of participants, well beyond the professional astronomy community.  We are seeking your input to understand how best to promote astronomical education in schools, in the public, and in training new generations of professional astronomers.

All are welcome to participate in this meeting.

We will distribute more information prior to the meeting.  For now, we summarise below the recommendations made in the ‘2006 – 2015 Decadal Plan for Australian Astronomy’ and 2011' Mid-Term Review’ and we would like your feedback on whether you have seen these goals achieved or not achieved.

Professional astronomers need to work more closely with public facilities (like planetaria, observatories, museums and science discovery centre’s) and amateur groups to:

  1.  Assist with the delivery of programs that target school students and teachers;
  2.  Assist with the delivery of programs that target under-served groups, such as those living in outer metropolitan, regional and remote areas; Indigenous communities; people for whom English is a second language; and people who are disabled or have limited mobility;
  3.  Raise awareness among young people of opportunities in science and research; and
  4.  Promote science and astronomy to a wider audience.

What should our new goals be?

We look forward to your input.  If you are unable to attend this meeting, please consider taking part in one of our Town Hall meetings: late March in Canberra, and 15th April in Perth.

We would also welcome written feedback (submitted to amanda.bauer @ aao.gov.au<http://aao.gov.au/>), whether you attend a meeting or not.

Brad Tucker
Virginia Kilborn
Amanda Bauer