[ASA] Decadal Plan - Astronomy Education, Outreach and Careers

John O'Byrne john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au
Tue Feb 4 22:49:18 AEDT 2014

As you know, every 10 years the Australian professional astronomy community develops a Decadal Plan - a road map describing where we want Australian astronomy to go over the following decade.  This process is widely seen to be a key part of the success of astronomy in this country.  It involves a number of Working Groups reviewing all aspects of astronomy.

Working Group 3.2 is concerned with Education, Outreach and Careers - key aspects of our science that engage a wide range of participants, well beyond the professional astronomy community.  We are seeking your input to understand how best to promote astronomical education in schools, in the public, and in training new generations of professional astronomers.

With this in mind, we are planning a series of 'Town Hall' meetings where you can come along and provide your input and comments.  These meetings will be both physical (come in person) and virtual (attend on-line or by phone from anywhere in the country).  WG3.2 expects to have 4 meetings across the country in the next two months:
18th February in Sydney
6th March in Melbourne
late March in Canberra
15th April in Perth
You are welcome to participate in one or all of these meetings.

The first meeting will be at the University of Sydney, but NOT on the main campus. The location will be the
Sydney Institute for Astronomy (SIfA) Boardroom
Ground floor of the Rosehill St building.
 44-70 Rosehill St Redfern H90.
(This is conveniently close to Redfern Railway station - see the map at http://tinyurl.com/lmyzrf4)

If you plan to attend, please RSVP to John O'Byrne (john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au) stating whether you will be present in person (numbers are limited) or 'virtually' (on-line or by phone).  More information on 'virtual' attendance will follow.

We will distribute more information prior to the meeting.  For now, we summarise below the recommendations made in the ‘2006 – 2015 Decadal Plan for Australian Astronomy’ and 2011' Mid-Term Review’ and we would like your feedback on whether you have seen these goals achieved or not achieved.

Professional astronomers need to work more closely with public facilities (like planetaria, observatories, museums and science discovery centre’s) and amateur groups to:
Assist with the delivery of programs that target school students and teachers;
Assist with the delivery of programs that target under-served groups, such as those living in outer metropolitan, regional and remote areas; Indigenous communities; people for whom English is a second language; and people who are disabled or have limited mobility;
Raise awareness among young people of opportunities in science and research; and
Promote science and astronomy to a wider audience.
What should our new goals be?

We look forward to your input.  Please consider taking part in one of our Town Hall meetings.

We would also welcome written feedback (submitted to amanda.bauer @ aao.gov.au), whether you attend a meeting or not.

Amanda Bauer
John O'Byrne
for WG3.2

ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR JOHN O’BYRNE
Associate Head (Teaching & Learning), School of Physics
Associate Dean (Standards), Faculty of Science
Secretary, Astronomical Society of Australia Inc.

Sydney Institute for Astronomy
School of Physics | Faculty of Science

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Rm 205, Physics Building A28 | alternate: Rm 222, 44-70 Rosehill St Redfern H90 (see map)
Postal address: School of Physics | The University of Sydney | NSW | Australia | 2006
T +61 2 9351 3184  | F +61 2 9351 7726
E john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au  | W  http://sydney.edu.au/science/physics/~obyrne

CRICOS 00026A
This email plus any attachments to it are confidential. Any unauthorised use is strictly prohibited.
If you receive this email in error, please delete it and any attachments.

This email uses 100% recycled words and ideas.  Do you really need to print it?