[ASA] Fwd: Science and Technology Australia's January Newsletter

Andrew Hopkins andrew.hopkins at aao.gov.au
Thu Jan 30 11:23:16 AEDT 2014

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Science and Technology Australia's January Newsletter
Date: 	Thu, 30 Jan 2014 11:14:17 +1100
From: 	Catriona Jackson <catriona.jackson at sta.org.au>
To: 	undisclosed-recipients:;

Presidents, please forward this to your members.

Not displaying correctly? View the web version
<http://scienceandtechnologyaustralia.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/STA-January-Newsletter-2014.html>

<http://scienceandtechnologyaustralia.org.au/>
CONNECT:
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Science-and-Technology-Australia/216340638388984><http://twitter.com/ScienceAU><http://www.youtube.com/scienceandtechau>

MEMBER PROFILE

*Name and title: *Dr Jeremy C Brownlie, Deputy Head, School of Biomolecular
and Physical Sciences, Griffith University

*Discipline: *Insect Symbiosis

*What lured you to science and/or technology in the first place?* As a kid
growing up in the bush I always enjoyed asking questions, wondering how things
worked and observing the natural world around me. When I worked out that I
could keep doing this as a scientist the decision to become one wasn't that
hard. Probably my father, who was a park ranger for many years, influenced me
the most in that decision.

*What keeps you there?* The School that I work in has academics from the major
scientific disciplines, Physics, Chemistry, Biology; talking to them about new
discoveries and learning about the world around us is exciting. Being able to
direct my own research, to ask questions and uncover things that are totally
unexpected are the best parts of the job.

*What makes science different to other careers?* As a career it can be quite
challenging at times, but having the freedom (if one has the funding of
course!) to explore different ideas is quite unique.

*What would you tell a 10-year-old about a career in science and technology?*
If they are curious about the world around them, how it works and if they
would like to help answer some of the big questions then being a scientist, an
engineer or being based in a technology industry is the best career for them.

NEWS & EVENTS

Scientists concerned about ARC funding cuts READ MORE
<http://scienceandtechnologyaustralia.org.au/in-the-media/scientists-concerned-about-arc-funding-cuts/>
Building a smart, productive future READ MORE
<http://scienceandtechnologyaustralia.org.au/in-the-media/building-a-smart-productive-future-2/>
Congratulations to Ministers Macfarlane and Pyne READ MORE
<http://scienceandtechnologyaustralia.org.au/in-the-media/congratulations-to-ministers-pyne-and-macfarlane/>

Dear STA friend/member,

After 12 months as CEO I never cease to be pleasantly surprised by how much
goodwill exists towards STA across so many groups -- from members,
parliamentarians and policy makers to supporters from industry. We know we
bear a heavy responsibility representing all those working in science and
technology, and reinforcing the centrality of science and technology in
virtually every aspect of modern life. 2013 was spent building new alliances,
keeping science on the agenda during a particularly chaotic political year,
and consolidating internally to be able to do a better job for you. This new
newsletter is a small part of that change, and just the start of a
communications overhaul. As always the STA executive and board thank you for
your loyal support, as we work to bring together scientists, governments,
industry and the broader community to advance the role, reputation and impact
of science and technology in Australia.

*Catriona Jackson*
Chief Executive Officer

*Science meets Parliament 2014 *

SmP 2014 will be held on Monday 17 and Tuesday 18 March. Plans for this
flagship event are well advanced, with Chief Scientist Professor Ian Chubb
confirmed to deliver the National Press Club address on day two. Invitations
are also out for new Ministers Macfarlane and Pyne -- who between them carry
responsibility for science, research, education and industry -- to address the
two day event. FIND OUT MORE
<http://scienceandtechnologyaustralia.org.au/news-and-events/science-meets-parliament-2014/>

For sponsorship opportunities please contact Wayne Evans
<mailto:wayne.evans at sta.org.au>.

*Communications revamp*

This newsletter kicks off a major communications revamp for STA, which will
roll out in 2014. We're not interested in the whizz-bang, but in offering you
better ways to engage with each other on the issues you care about, and easier
ways to find the information you're interested in. A better website with more
visible and vibrant social media options, as well as a YouTube channel
featuring STA events, starting with the last Member Services Workshop, are
just two of the new features.

*Practical skills workshop*

The Member Services Workshop held in November 2013 focussed on the many
practical issues so many of us face as we run science and technology
organisations on a shoestring. Experts on web-design, legal and governance
issues, publishing, event planning and social media offered advice on the best
and simplest ways to do a better job for members. One of the most popular
presentations was Dr David Yeates' warts-and-all account of the big changes
the Australian Entomological Society made after the last workshop, and the
impact they have had. He promises to come back next time to continue the
story. For those who couldn't get there, check out all the presentations on
the STA YouTube channel <http://www.youtube.com/scienceandtechau>, and keep
your ears open for a group that will form in the wake of the workshop to share
information and ideas.

*A big year ahead*

March's SmP will kick off a huge year for STA, with a range of forums,
workshops and publications. A Women in Science Workshop and Toolkit will
provide a practical guide on ways to improve the participation of women in the
workforce, national forums will connect science and technology with business
and parliament, and as usual we will continue to advocate for you at all
levels. Further details about activities and ways you can be involved will
come in the February newsletter.

*Other items of interest*

Academy launches immunisation app READ MORE
<http://scienceandtechnologyaustralia.org.au/news-and-events/academy-launches-immunisation-app/>

Chief Scientist's free eBook /The Curious Country/ READ MORE
<http://scienceandtechnologyaustralia.org.au/news-and-events/chief-scientist%3Fs-free-ebook-%3Fthe-curious-country%3F/>

STA welcomes new members and executives READ MORE
<http://scienceandtechnologyaustralia.org.au/in-the-media/sta-welcomes-new-members-and-new-executives/>

You have received this email from Science & Technology Australia.

© 2013 - Science and Technology Australia

	<http://scienceandtechnologyaustralia.org.au/>

--
A.Prof. Andrew Hopkins, Head of AAT Science
Australian Astronomical Observatory