[ASA] Mt Stromlo Student Xmas Seminars - 2nd annoucement

Cherie Fishlock cherief at mso.anu.edu.au
Thu Oct 31 16:46:36 AEDT 2013

Hi all,

This is a reminder that registration closes in 1 week on Friday, 8th of November. The Mt Stromlo Student Xmas Seminars is a fantastic opportunity for students to meet other astronomy students from around Australia and share their research (or any other interest they may want to talk about!).

If you know of any students (undergrad, Honours, Masters, PhD) who may be interested, please pass this email on!

Live long and prosper!

Cherie Fishlock (on behalf of the Organising Committee)

Space… the final frontier.

Dear Students of Astronomy and Astrophysics,

Do you question the unknown? Do you prefer logic and reason over chaos?

We would like to invite you the the 11th Stromlo Student Seminars, with this year's theme being inspired by the adventures of Star Trek:

To boldy discover what no one has researched before.

Curiosity compels us to search out what hasn't been discovered before. A passion for research in astronomy and astrophysics drives us to explore the unknown, whether in our Galaxy or beyond! If you are interested in presenting your research log to fellow students please read ahead!

The 11th Annual Mt Stromlo Student Christmas Seminars!
WHAT? A two day workshop to strengthen skills important for your research degree
WHO? Any astronomy or related physics student in Australia - Undergrad, Honours, Masters, and PhD level
WHERE? Mt. Stromlo Observatory, ANU, Canberra
WHEN? 21st & 22nd November 2013

Day 1: We have organised for the Academic Skills and Learning Centre at ANU to run a session on developing research skills essential for completing a research degree, either Honours, Masters or PhD. These skills include critical reading, journal writing as well as how to write a literature review.

We will also take a tour of the Advanced Instrumentation Technology Centre at Mt Stromlo Observatory where ANU is helping to build the next large telescope, the Giant Magellan Telescope in Chile, as part of an international collaboration. ANU is constructing one of the first instruments to be used with the telescope as well as developing adaptive optics which are critical to success of the telescope.

Day 2:    Then it's your turn - this annual day of student talks gives you a 15 minute opportunity to talk to a group of your peers on whatever topic you like, related to the theme or not.  Prizes will be given for those talks voted as the best science content, best use of the theme, and best overall talk.

Registration is free, and food will be provided throughout the two days. Dinner on Thursday night will also be provided. Please indicate when you are registering if you'd like to attend the dinner.

Some travel and accommodation support will also be available; contact the committee if you would like details on financial support.

To register, visit our website at www.mso.anu.edu.au/xmas13.  The deadline for registration is the 8th of November.
If you would like a talk on day 2, you can indicate so when you register, or email us separately.

The seminars are designed for all astronomy and astrophysics undergrad/graduate students, whether you have anything to talk about or just come to watch and listen, the invitation is open to you.  Honours and Masters students might want to take the opportunity to come and find out what being a PhD student is really like!  So please, come along to this year's Mt Stromlo Student Christmas Seminars - catch up with students from other institutes, improve your research skills and practise your public speaking skills.

Please direct any questions to the organising committee at the email address xmas13 at mso.anu.edu.au. For travel and accommodation information please visit our website.

Keep checking our website for up-to-date information. We hope to see you all in November!

Live long and prosper!
Cherie Fishlock (on behalf of the Organising Committee)

We would like to thank the team at GMT and the ANU Student Extra-Curriculur Enrichment Fund for their kind sponsorship.