[ASA] Gemini announcements

Australian Gemini Office ausgo at aao.gov.au
Wed Jul 3 09:55:24 AEST 2013

We would like to highlight a number of Gemini-related items that will be
of interest to the Australian astronomical community:

1. The Gemini Observatory has released a set of seven stunning images
from the System Verification of the GeMS adaptive optics system at
Gemini South, using the RSAA-built Gemini South Adaptive Optics Imager
(GSAOI). These ultra-sharp, wide-field images represent the instrument’s
first science observations and demonstrate its remarkable discovery
potential. See http://www.gemini.edu/node/12028

2. The July issue of Gemini’s quarterly newsletter GeminiFocus is now
available for viewing. Read about recent science results, operations and
instrumentation updates, the culmination of System Verification for the
GeMS adaptive optics system and much more! View it at
http://www.gemini.edu/node/27

3. The Gemini Observatory Director Dr Markus Kissler-Patig is visiting
the AAO, RSAA, and Swinburne/AAL this week. He will be spending all of
next week at the ASA Annual Scientific Meeting at Monash University, and
giving an invited presentation on "New Opportunities with the Gemini
Observatory" at 5:00pm on Wed 10 July. Due to the large number of
lunchtime events already scheduled we will not be holding a Gemini &
Magellan forum at this year's ASA meeting, but Markus is very keen to
speak to as many current (and potential) users of the Gemini telescopes
as possible so we encourage you to take up this opportunity.

Stuart Ryder
Australian Gemini Office, AAO